FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmberStar96

Reaction score
Hi my name is Amber and I've got a small 40L (9 gallon?) Tank with my rasboras and bristlenose pleco with basic plants like java fern and anubias.

I've just got a bigger tank off a family member which I think is about 140L (36g) and looking for advice. The tank came with 1 torpedo barb and 1 clown loach which I don't know what to do with because I've seen they like to be in small groups and get really big!! There's 1 more fish I have no idea what it is? Does anyone know? I'll put a pic on here!! TIA x
20210125_204545.jpg

Welcome to the forum...that's a Congo tetra...

You are correct, nice job with the research, it is key in this hobby.

Not only do these fish get too big with the tank you have, they are social fish, and need to be kept in groups, for them to be most comfortable, and to thrive...all 3 of them....and you'd need a BIG tank.

Could you possibly rehome them? Do you know anyone with fish tanks? Or donate to a local fish store (LFS)?

You are correct, nice job with the research, it is key in this hobby.

Not only do these fish get too big with the tank you have, they are social fish, and need to be kept in groups, for them to be most comfortable, and to thrive...all 3 of them....and you'd need a BIG tank.

Could you possibly rehome them? Do you know anyone with fish tanks? Or donate to a local fish store (LFS)?
Yeah think I'll try and take them to a fish shop near me and hopefully they will take them! I'd probs have to flood my house for them otherwise ?

We wouldn't want that!
Once you rehome them, will you keep the bigger tank?
There's LOTS of different smaller fish you could keep in it

We wouldn't want that!
Once you rehome them, will you keep the bigger tank?
There's LOTS of different smaller fish you could keep in it
Yeah defo! I got the tank for free and then I got given these fish haha. I want a school of cories! What other fish do you think would be good in it?

Welcome. Good to see someone researching before diving in. Wish the internet had been around when I was starting out years ago. I may never have thrown the towel in twice.
Before buying any Fish research your water hardness on your water providers website. Itlll ask you to insert your postcode.

Once you know the water hardness in numbers then research any fish you like the look of on seriouslyfish.com by inserting their name into the search function then clicking on it’s name when it appears.
Thatll give you all the essential info you’ll need to help make your mind up. Water hardness, water PH, water temp, min tank size, preferred tank mates, min number of same species, preferred food n plants etc. Then run some choices and mixes past this lot because some fish don’t get on with each other.
Its science backed n based and not just the opinion of someone with a tank or two and a few fish like....errrrh......errrh.....me! So don’t listen to me apart from to do the two above things. On here I’m only allowed to point beginners towards their water providers website and seriouslyfish.com. If it helps take the load off the clever posters I’ll keep doing it because they helped me a lot when I came back to fishkeeping.
Have fun.

^^ Good advice ^^
One other thing I would add, is to pick fish that you like...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back