Hi everyone

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Carol Bowcock

Reaction score
Iā€™m new to your forum, just saying hello
I have.a 105L Biorb, well stocked with live plants, 18 White Cloud Mountain minnows, 2 ghost shrimp & 2 red snails... is anybody on here had any problems with the Shrimps attacking fish?

Hi and welcome!:)
I have blue dream and red cherry shrimp and they hid when they were in with fish. Never had ghost shrimp though.

Hi there thanks, I was in a pets at home store earlier today & witnessed a perfectly looking healthy fish (Platty) being dragged to the bottom of the tank by itā€™s tail by an Amano shrimp & it was eaten alive by around 12 other shrimp! It was very distressing to watch, Iā€™m worried now because I too have these Shrimps in with my WCMM, any advice?

Hi there thanks, I was in a pets at home store earlier today & witnessed a perfectly looking healthy fish (Platty) being dragged to the bottom of the tank by itā€™s tail by an Amano shrimp & it was eaten alive by around 12 other shrimp! It was very distressing to watch, Iā€™m worried now because I too have these Shrimps in with my WCMM, any advice?
I have never seen it myself or heard about this occurrence before today

I have one lonely ghost shrimp in my community tank and I barely see him. I have lots of golden white clouds, platies, , guppies, danios, barbs, tetras, and none of my fish have been attacked.

Wow, no I didn't know they would do that to a healthy fish.
I would only advise to make sure the shrimps are fed, not just left to scavenge. Mine have crab cuisine pellets and algae that is grown on pebbles (in a bowl of water on a windowsill, then rotated in and out of the shrimp tank).

Yes it was very distressing to witness as Iā€™ve ever seen or heard of it before today, the store assistant was not around to see this & said no you obviously saw the Shrimps eating a dead fish!!! I was fuming because It actually happened right in front of me!! I have sent a complaint in because I have a concern for welfare issue..

Wow, no I didn't know they would do that to a healthy fish.
I would only advise to make sure the shrimps are fed, not just left to scavenge. Mine have crab cuisine pellets and algae that is grown on pebbles (in a bowl of water on a windowsill, then rotated in and out of the shrimp tank).
My shrimp do seem placid around my minnows, I feed them Shrimp pellets, & I put Bloodworm in once a week...

I have never heard of amano shrimp attacking healthy fish. I do seem to recall reading that some predatory shrimp are sometimes mis-labled (and mis-sold) as amanos. Sorry I can't remember the details though.

I have never heard of amano shrimp attacking healthy fish. I do seem to recall reading that some predatory shrimp are sometimes mis-labled (and mis-sold) as amanos. Sorry I can't remember the details though.
Hi there, yes I agree, the store assistant did specify that the only Shrimps they have in with fish is Amano & wood.. these Shrimps I witnessed today were anything but calm, they were literally hanging on to fishes tails, it was awful!

The predatory shrimps are long armed shrimps and often arrive at a shop mis-labelled as ghost shrimp or amano shrimp. The shop worker has no idea that they aren't what the wholesaler said they were.
The difference is in the arms. The safe-with-fish shrimps have short arms which they use for picking up food. The several species of long arm shrimps have long arms (obviously!) which in males can be longer than their body. They use these arms for catching fish.

It is quite common to hear about people buying what they thought were ghost or amano shrimps - labelled as such in the LFS - only to discover later that they are actually long arm shrimps.

You know, I have had 3 fish just completely disappear from my tank with the one ā€œglassā€ shrimp in it. I wonder if he is a predator shrimp. He looks like no glass shrimp that Iā€™ve ever seen. Gotta go find that thing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back