Hi Chaps And Chapets Its Been A Will , Couldnt Seem To Get Logged In S

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

toastie2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hi , thanks for looking , im not sure where to start . 

are tank was doing well , 120 litres with 20 ish guppys and some tetras from when it was first set up plus some shrimp and snails .

now im down to a orange and a blue tip tetra and some snails and shrimp left ,  one buy one they dropped off :( 

water tests as good , the fish shop have done one to and looks good so im wondering if iv got some infection in there and if i have what to do next before restocking .

iv got some Interpet - internal bacteria , but the instruction make know sense to me , it tells me to the the filters out but never mentions putting them back it so i cant beleave thats correct .

so heres what im thinking - I MASSIVE WATER CHANGE  , will that get rid of anything nasty in there ? if not what should i do ? 

any ideas would be great , massive thanks for even looking , im really stuck :) 

one me thing , recently iv put this plant in and its doing well but i dont know where it came from (it was in a small tank i was given) , is it safe ? is it ok for tropical fish ? what is it ? :)  thanks again T 

D4C4B143-7D5D-499B-87DC-3DB32D809EC0_zpsqp33wv29.jpg

C7BF4CD3-E56A-43BC-AB54-04633765B6B9_zpswcqaq6qb.jpg

sorry about the second thread "test" admin , i lost this one and didn't know what was going on , cheers t

Can you explain the symptoms of the fish?

Have you had any new fish recently?

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate results (actual numbers please)?

That plant is hornwort. I hate that stuff. It's very messy and I'm allergic to it. However, it is perfectly fine in an aquarium. Fry like it. You can float it too. I'm 85% positive it is hornwort (maybe foxtail).

The interpret is likely suggesting you remove any active carbon in your filter. You can replace the carbon when the medicine has run its course. If you have carbon that has been in the tank for more than two weeks, then you can leave it in. It's no longer active, so it can't absorb your medicine.

thanks you Att , i will get some reading tomorrow ,

there wasn't really any symptoms but one by one there would just look slow or maybe not swimming quite rite , you sort of just know they dont look rite dont you , then they would die , i tried more water changes and water tests all looked good to me . also cherry shrimp and bigger shrimp all doing fine , 

iv go no active carbon so il run the treatment through it then . 

thanks for assuring me about the plant . when you say float it does that mean literally float it on the top ? 

thanks loads t

Yeah, I mean just actually let it float at the top of the water. It does well when it is rooted though, so it is all up to you. You'll want to make sure it doesn't get too overgrown. If it blocks too much light, other plants may suffer (but I didn't notice any other plants in your tank).

no iv never had any luck with plants , this is the first one that groan , its starters at about 6 inches and now have maybe 30 inch .

i took 70% of the water out sunday and put in about 30% so not topped up fully , iv got 2 filter running , both big enough to do the job on there own but have 2 so use 2 . 

heres my reading today . 

ammonia  0.25
nitrite         0
nitrate is hard to say but fairly high , it looks more like 160 that 80 on the chart i think .

248F7C67-F881-457D-9AB4-A3669D98C452_zpsvgvbigeh.jpg

toastie2 said:
what do you think ? ta d 
What is your water change schedule?

Also, what are you reading the Nitrate at? From the picture it appears to be in the 160+ range and that is not good at all.

i do about 30 % every 10 days ish . ye the nitrate looks high to me to , how do i get it down ? cheers t

Do a 50% water change every seven days. Your nitrate will go down. Test the nitrate from your water source (tap, well, whatever). You should not let your nitrate exceed 40 ppm of your source water nitrate level.

cheers , so i think i get it , the one thing turns in to the other and then the other and ends up as nitrate , ye ? so is the only way to get rid of nitrate a water change ? ta d 

Plants help with this as well. They actually prefer ammonia as a food source but less ammonia means less nitrate. That and water changes are the only things you can do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back