Hey there!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Welcome to TTF:rainbow::rock::banana::jumprope:
Hey guys!

I'm actually new to the hobby, I've always wanted to have my own aquarium but sadly there has always been something getting in the way (mainly money). My friend knew someone getting rid of a tank, it was last used the day prior and had 8~ neon tetra's in it. It's an aqua one Aquasmart 500m (65l) in good condition and came with an internal filter (102f maxi) and a 6inch Air stone. I snatched it out of his hands for £25 (I think it was a good deal) and used some more money to buy water conditioner, ammonia remover and a couple of fake plants (which I'm not even going to use lol).

I have done some research, so I know basics, I do have a 5 gallon tank but I refuse to use it as I don't want any fish to be unhappy, so this will be my first ever tank build.

I do have a quick question, what do I do with the cycling process? I do have used media in there, but do I trust it?

Thanks for having me here :)

(Edit: I didn't make it clear, but I don't have the tetra's, the previous owner rehomed them. I cleaned the tanks using nothing but treated water as there was quite alot of scum lines, now doing research into what fish I can have/want).
You could use the 5 gallon as a hospital/quarantine tank or you could have a betta, dwarf crayfish, shrimp, Pea puffer, dwarf frogs. Just some ideas.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

@Deanasue, your link didn't come through for some reason, so here it is again: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Your 5g tank is actually good for shrimp, snails, or a single Betta.

Please vote for the July TOTM contest, by clocking on the banner, at the top right of your screen. Hope to see you around the forum! :fish:

Yes I agree, I keep one of my bettas in a 5.5 gallon and she loves it

Yep, your 5 gallon tank can definitely be used. You can keep a single betta in there, shrimp, snails, or a pea puffer.

Yep, your 5 gallon tank can definitely be used. You can keep a single betta in there, shrimp, snails, or a pea puffer.
I have a 5g betta tank and a 10g betta tank. They are both suitable, but I think bettas prefer a 10g tank, over a 5g tank.

Well I would quote you all and thank you for your suggestions and warm welcomes but that would create quite a large post lol.

I am grateful for the help. I'm thinking of using ther 5g for a hospital tank. I'm just starting so juggling two tanks could be a recipe for disaster, but, should anything go wrong I know I'll have a tank waiting for the sick or injured. I'm hoping none will get sick but you never know.

I like betta's I really do they are beautiful fish, but the LFS near me doesn't stock them because too many people try cramming them in jars. So he refuses. as for my local petshop, I wont go there. my partners mum bought a fish, put it in her tank, a week later they were all dead (I'm not too sure about the details and what she did to prevent it, but it's a warning to me). Sorry fo rthe tangent.

Also were do I go to get accurate information on what parameters and tank sizes certain species need. I was looking at cory's and for some reason I came accross a hillstream loach, and instantly I wanted him, he reminds me of the facehuggers of Alien. but I'm getting mixed feedback on suitable climate and size. Some say ten gallon, doesn't mind what temp or flow, yet it's natural habitat is cool fast running streams... lookoing deeper into it all is just getting me scratching my head more and more.

Well I would quote you all and thank you for your suggestions and warm welcomes but that would create quite a large post lol.

I am grateful for the help. I'm thinking of using ther 5g for a hospital tank. I'm just starting so juggling two tanks could be a recipe for disaster, but, should anything go wrong I know I'll have a tank waiting for the sick or injured. I'm hoping none will get sick but you never know.

I like betta's I really do they are beautiful fish, but the LFS near me doesn't stock them because too many people try cramming them in jars. So he refuses. as for my local petshop, I wont go there. my partners mum bought a fish, put it in her tank, a week later they were all dead (I'm not too sure about the details and what she did to prevent it, but it's a warning to me). Sorry fo rthe tangent.

Also were do I go to get accurate information on what parameters and tank sizes certain species need. I was looking at cory's and for some reason I came accross a hillstream loach, and instantly I wanted him, he reminds me of the facehuggers of Alien. but I'm getting mixed feedback on suitable climate and size. Some say ten gallon, doesn't mind what temp or flow, yet it's natural habitat is cool fast running streams... lookoing deeper into it all is just getting me scratching my head more and more.
You come right here to our forum. Knowledgeable members will help you with stocking ideas and fish compatible to your water chemistry. :)

You come right here to our forum. Knowledgeable members will help you with stocking ideas and fish compatible to your water chemistry. :)

You'll regret telling me that haha, the amount of questions that are building up inside me is unreal. I just don't want to sound stupid, I try to research everything before hand, but there are so many contradictions out there!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back