Hey there!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shiverz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm actually new to the hobby, I've always wanted to have my own aquarium but sadly there has always been something getting in the way (mainly money). My friend knew someone getting rid of a tank, it was last used the day prior and had 8~ neon tetra's in it. It's an aqua one Aquasmart 500m (65l) in good condition and came with an internal filter (102f maxi) and a 6inch Air stone. I snatched it out of his hands for £25 (I think it was a good deal) and used some more money to buy water conditioner, ammonia remover and a couple of fake plants (which I'm not even going to use lol).

I have done some research, so I know basics, I do have a 5 gallon tank but I refuse to use it as I don't want any fish to be unhappy, so this will be my first ever tank build.

I do have a quick question, what do I do with the cycling process? I do have used media in there, but do I trust it?

Thanks for having me here :)

(Edit: I didn't make it clear, but I don't have the tetra's, the previous owner rehomed them. I cleaned the tanks using nothing but treated water as there was quite alot of scum lines, now doing research into what fish I can have/want).

Last edited:
Welcome. This may help you get the tank cycled... Please ask if you need help and don’t add fish until that tank is cycled. :). :fish::hi::fish:

Last edited:
Welcome. This may help you get the tank cycled...https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/. Please ask if you need help and don’t add fish until that tank is cycled. :). :fish::hi::fish:

Thank you for the welcome :)

I've read about cycling the tank (Still got to grab my test kit, I'll pick on eup tomorrow just to be ready). I just know alot of people use media that has already sustained fish healthily. I'm just unsure if I should put new media in there. Is there anything I should look out for should I choose to keep the already cycled media?

I see lot's of posts, and people who say they lost fish and didn't know what happened, and it's mainly all with the cycling process. I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid wanting new media, but I don't know the full conditions on what that tank has gone through lol.

Don't worry about adding fish, I have to decide which ones I want first then run it by my girlfriend to make sure they're "pretty enough" lol. It may take some time.

Thank you very much :)

You could try adding Tetra SafeStart Plus to help jump start your cycle. If the old filter media is still wet and not dried out it can help you cycle too. The gravel will have bacteria also as long as you did not over clean it or let it dry out. I would consider adding the SafeStart Plus to be safe since you have neon tetra. Neon tetra are sensitive fish and not the best to have if your are having to re-cycle your tank.

Hello and welcome to the forum:fish::hi::fish:

Thank you for your welcome :)

You could try adding Tetra SafeStart Plus to help jump start your cycle. If the old filter media is still wet and not dried out it can help you cycle too. The gravel will have bacteria also as long as you did not over clean it or let it dry out. I would consider adding the SafeStart Plus to be safe since you have neon tetra. Neon tetra are sensitive fish and not the best to have if your are having to re-cycle your tank.

I editted my OP, the previous owner got rid of his tetra's hence the selling of this tank. Unfortunately he got rid of all the gravel in the tank as I mentioned I want a sand bed, as I really want a little cory because I just think they're so damned adorable. Getting back to the media, I do have some treated water in the tank at the moment, it's soul purpose is to keep the media and air stone wet to prevent them from drying up. As for the cleaning it was mainly the glass, and some severe scrubbing on the lid (again I only used treated water, no harsh chemicals is touching that tank lol).

I will look at getting some safe smart, and I'm guessing that I may as well just cycle the tank as if everything was new, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for all the information :)

Corys are cute fish, do you know if you have hard water or soft? Are you planing on a planted tank?

I have soft water 1.61 (not to sure about the 1.61 part, but the water is soft), I would like some plants in there, I kind of want a natural looking tank. I've yet to look deep into cory's so I'm going to have to see if my water is good enough for them.

I have soft water 1.61 (not to sure about the 1.61 part, but the water is soft), I would like some plants in there, I kind of want a natural looking tank. I've yet to look deep into cory's so I'm going to have to see if my water is good enough for them.
I'm assuming 1.6 dgh. Which is soft and fine for corydoras

Thank you for the welcome :)

I've read about cycling the tank (Still got to grab my test kit, I'll pick on eup tomorrow just to be ready). I just know alot of people use media that has already sustained fish healthily. I'm just unsure if I should put new media in there. Is there anything I should look out for should I choose to keep the already cycled media?

I see lot's of posts, and people who say they lost fish and didn't know what happened, and it's mainly all with the cycling process. I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid wanting new media, but I don't know the full conditions on what that tank has gone through lol.

Don't worry about adding fish, I have to decide which ones I want first then run it by my girlfriend to make sure they're "pretty enough" lol. It may take some time.

Thank you very much :)
If you have used filter media that has been kept wet, you can certainly use it. I would add the Safe Start in top of it and jump start your cycle. :)

If you have used filter media that has been kept wet, you can certainly use it. I would add the Safe Start in top of it and jump start your cycle. :)

I'll pick up some Safe start tomorrow whilst I'm grabbing a test ki, probably some sand (possibly some plants after a little research). Then I'll start cycling and monitoring the water. Hopefully it's all going to be good.

Super excited, but I really don't want to rush anything. Trying to pace myself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back