Hey guys! My 10 gal finally cycled!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Pidge1992

Reaction score
My 10 is finally cycled! So I got some fish! I got 6 ember tetras and hillstream loach for now. Iā€™ll likely add a few more embers later on. (Also Iā€™m keeping the temp at 75, which should suffice/be decent middle ground for both the loach and tetras ?)
1897DD4D-A984-4D5A-B8E0-53D8A73CA41E.jpeg
4A5FA0CE-6F3F-40EC-AE13-EB2663EC336E.jpeg
A20345F9-9D1D-47B8-A63F-680726B8DDE4.jpeg

Congrats on the cycle, good advice above on the loach....not only does it need to be in groups in a bigger tank, but they require fast-flowing, highly oxygenated water as well...can you return it?

Nice!

Hill stream loaches need a much bigger tank (at least a 20g long) and they need to be in groups of 6 or more.

The link provided is for the wrong species. Mine is also known as a butterfly loach, itā€™s the Chinese one, max size is 3 in and they are very territorial and do not like others of their kind. Tank is over filtered and highly oxygenated. He should be fine, but thank you!

You need a picture on the back to make the fish feel more comfortable.

Algae eating fishes like the Borneo scooter (hillstream loach) should not be added to new tanks because they starve. Try to have the lights on for longer to encourage algae to grow on the glass. Add some driftwood for the loach. Your tank size is fine for that species of loach.

Add some true aquatic plants like Ambulia and narrow Vallis.

You need a picture on the back to make the fish feel more comfortable.

Algae eating fishes like the Borneo scooter (hillstream loach) should not be added to new tanks because they starve. Try to have the lights on for longer to encourage algae to grow on the glass. Add some driftwood for the loach. Your tank size is fine for that species of loach.

Add some true aquatic plants like Ambulia and narrow Vallis.
Already taken care of! This tank has a history of growing algae and even though itā€™s been dry, scrubbed, and restarted the glass and most things in it are already coated. I can see his little mouth marks on the back and itā€™s adorable. ā¤ļø Iā€™m also leaving the light on excessively. Thank you! And yes, I plan to get a background on this one ASAP because itā€™s near a high traffic area. Iā€™ll likely put something on the side too.

Side note, tank photo was taken a few weeks ago before it algaeā€™d up a lot. ?

There is an issue with the water flow here, I'm afraid. The loach should have a good current, that is what it naturally lives in and thus expects (see the "Habitat" and "Maintenance" data in the SF link in post 8). The term "obligate" under the Habitat conditions is very significant...in biology, the term means "able to exist or thrive only under a certain set of environmental conditions," and while a fish may "live" that is not the same as "thrive."

Unfortunately, this will not suit the Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) that like a quiet environment. :fish:

Iā€™m also leaving the light on excessively.
What do you mean by leaving the light on exclusively?
The fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness to rest. They can have 16 hours of light but need a time to rest.

What do you mean by leaving the light on exclusively?
The fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness to rest. They can have 16 hours of light but need a time to rest.
Light is off 8 hours a night but on over 12 while Iā€™m at work.

There is an issue with the water flow here, I'm afraid. The loach should have a good current, that is what it naturally lives in and thus expects (see the "Habitat" and "Maintenance" data in the SF link in post 8). The term "obligate" under the Habitat conditions is very significant...in biology, the term means "able to exist or thrive only under a certain set of environmental conditions," and while a fish may "live" that is not the same as "thrive."

Unfortunately, this will not suit the Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) that like a quiet environment. :fish:
Yes but secondary resources (multiple ones) also state that store bought specimens who have been acclimated to standard tank conditions will thrive in any oxygen saturated environment as the oxygenation provided by the current is the key factor to them thriving and I have more that adequate surface agitation in this tank. As was already said, the largest issue by and large is them starving due to lack of algae which I already have a plethora of in this tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back