Hey Got Some Questions About A Salt Water Tank I Wanna Start

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

(tyler)

Reaction score
hey im new to the forum. im trying ot get help on starting a 20 gallon long salt water tank. i am in another forum witch i like alot but its been slow there so decided to try here. ok so i just got done setting up my 20 gallon long its got a aquackear 300 filter a light on top and a stone bubbler in the tank at first i was thinking fresh water but i remembered how my bro had puffer fish . he loved salt water tanks alot he had mostly puffers so i decided thats what i want to do. i was thinking figue 8 puffers because there hardy with tank mates and live rock of course. could you guys help me on what i need how much salt and all that im going ot the pet store today for prices and what not. thx AGAIN

a figure 8 puffer isn't marine, its brackish.
ehhh thats right i thought they could go all marine do you kno of any hardy puffer fish that stay about 3 inch because im thinking only puffers nothing else but puffers maybe 2 or 3 of the same sex any help would be great on starting to

i think if you did that it would suffer a kidney failure? no idea if its possible

ehhh thats right i thought they could go all marine do you kno of any hardy puffer fish that stay about 3 inch because im thinking only puffers nothing else but puffers maybe 2 or 3 of the same sex any help would be great on starting to

Why don't you go brackish instead of marine?

Why don't you go brackish instead of marine?
that sounds like a good idea there a little bit easier im confused how can i start one is it a lil bit of salt how od i start a brackish tank

I personally think Brackish is harder to maintain then Saltwater. There are lots of Saltwater puffers, all which are great! You said you wanted one which stayed relativly small, Valatini Puffer is pretty small, and the Spiny Box puffer is relativly small as well.

Go Saltwater!

I personally think Brackish is harder to maintain then Saltwater. There are lots of Saltwater puffers, all which are great! You said you wanted one which stayed relativly small, Valatini Puffer is pretty small, and the Spiny Box puffer is relativly small as well.

Go Saltwater!
thx alot but are they hardy with there own species and possible eels just wondering about the eels but are they hardy with there own species and others

The Valatini Puffer from what people have told me is a pretty hardy little fella. The Spiny Box on the other hands tends to be a little more sensative, the Porcupine Puffer is my favourtie of all puffers but requires a fairly large system. As for compatibilaty since the Valatini is pretty small at first I wouldnt put an eel in the tank, as it isnt garunteed, but it may decided to have it for a snake. Though if you were to get an eel I would get a Snowflake eel as its fairly small. Remember if you buy an eel get a lid, as they are escape artists and will try and get out eventually and its not fun finding your favourite fish behind your tank :sick: And make sure you have lots of LR for it to hide in. Research is ket, www.liveaquaria.com , great site, check it out go to Fish, Marine, Puffers and look at the ones they offer they tell you there maximum size and tank which it will need. Pick the one you like best! If you need anymore help post here or pm me.

The Valatini Puffer from what people have told me is a pretty hardy little fella. The Spiny Box on the other hands tends to be a little more sensative, the Porcupine Puffer is my favourtie of all puffers but requires a fairly large system. As for compatibilaty since the Valatini is pretty small at first I wouldnt put an eel in the tank, as it isnt garunteed, but it may decided to have it for a snake. Though if you were to get an eel I would get a Snowflake eel as its fairly small. Remember if you buy an eel get a lid, as they are escape artists and will try and get out eventually and its not fun finding your favourite fish behind your tank :sick: And make sure you have lots of LR for it to hide in. Research is ket, www.liveaquaria.com , great site, check it out go to Fish, Marine, Puffers and look at the ones they offer they tell you there maximum size and tank which it will need. Pick the one you like best! If you need anymore help post here or pm me.
thx alot how many puffers should i put in i was thinking just two could a valintina and a box go well together or no and yea i was thinking hte same thing a snowflake eel thats what my bro had there very hardy didnt bother any one and e had like 5 puffers and 1 HUGE prcuipine and every staid to them selves

Tyler,
If you would like a Porcupine Puffer I would invest in a 125G system. This way you can have your Snowflake, Porcupine, and 2 Valentini puffers I would say for life if not at least 5 years. They should all get along well together, but I would add the eel last to ensure the other fish get use to the tank, find there hiding spots, and claim there territory first. Need any more info let me know.

Tyler,
If you would like a Porcupine Puffer I would invest in a 125G system. This way you can have your Snowflake, Porcupine, and 2 Valentini puffers I would say for life if not at least 5 years. They should all get along well together, but I would add the eel last to ensure the other fish get use to the tank, find there hiding spots, and claim there territory first. Need any more info let me know.
ok yea all i want is the valentini puffer maybe 2 all i wanted was a puffer tank then the eel later thats all just live rock live sand the puffers and the eel later then maybe up grade to a 30 gallon for cycleing when i add the salt mixture wait a couple days check the water can i put 1 puffer in and see how it goes or an inexpeincive fish

ok yea all i want is the valentini puffer maybe 2 all i wanted was a puffer tank then the eel later thats all just live rock live sand the puffers and the eel later then maybe up grade to a 30 gallon for cycleing when i add the salt mixture wait a couple days check the water can i put 1 puffer in and see how it goes or an inexpeincive fish

I'm afraid your going to wait longer than a couple days before safely being able to put fish into your tank :(
It's more like a couple weeks if not longer :X

I'm afraid your going to wait longer than a couple days before safely being able to put fish into your tank :(
It's more like a couple weeks if not longer :X

it can take a few months, its not good to rush it though. i would do a fishless cycle with live rock, invest in some really good test kits. dont buy a fish to test the system, bear in mind most marine fish are wild caught, its cruel to use a fish to cycle your system.

Once your tank is up and cycling, test your water every 3-4 days for about a month. Your Ammonia will eventually spike followed by Nitrites and Nitrates. Once this happens which will probable be about 3 weeks into the cycle, maybe less it all depends, preform a about a 30-40% water change. Again once this is done test the water if the temperature is right, salnity, pH, Calcium, is where you want it and the Ammonia and Nitrites and Nitrates read 0 you should be good to go, start adding fish in slowly. The key to saltwater is patience.

* This is how I cycle my tanks, this is by no means the perfect way. I find it effecient and use it. If you would like to add your viewpoints on how you have cycled your previous tanks please do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back