Hey Gary !

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Here you go. This is from the first TFH edition (1966) of the Innes book that Herbert R. Axelrod stole from Dr. Innes when the copyright lapsed. You tell our dear readers the story. You're a better storyteller than me.
image.jpeg

This (related by Author) was one of my favorite books when I was young, I would pour over it when I wasn't reading a model rocketry book by G. Harry Stein, or The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. Hopefully it is still on a shelf somewhere at my mothers house.

1660591603493.png

Oh boy @Oblio ! You and I could talk ! I too pored over the Innes book when I was in grade school. My Dad got me the book in the 60's shortly after I got guppies and my first aquarium. Dad grew up in Philadelphia so was probably aware of Dr. Innes because he was always telling me about the aquarium he had back in the 30's. Model Rocketry ? Never read any books about them but I sure burned up a lot of Estes engines and crashed a lot of their rockets. Now let's talk about Colin Fletcher. I did a lot of backpacking in my younger days and The Complete Walker was my bible. I've read The Man Who Walked Through Time and The Thousand Mile Summer is still on my reading list. Looking forward to that. Terrible the end that Mr. Fletcher came to . Great reading and great books from great authors .

All the rocket related posts can now be found in General Chat in a thread titled "Rockets"

I do appreciate a "Hey Gary" thread that discussed something I have never had the slightest interest in or aptitude for. Rockets???
That did go a little south didn't it ? But , anyway , can you please tell the tale of Mr. Hjerresen and his "discovery" ? The dark and quirky side of our hobby should interest our fellows.

Yes, please tell us, we all love a good storytime!
@GaryE never did tell the tale of Mr. Hjerresen and the Orange Lyretail Aphyosemion australe. Old Gary is a good storyteller and I tried to entice him to tell this one because it vividly illustrates the deceitful nature of some tropical fish hobbyists. Yes , there are even rascals among us.

Oh boy @Oblio ! You and I could talk ! I too pored over the Innes book when I was in grade school. My Dad got me the book in the 60's shortly after I got guppies and my first aquarium. Dad grew up in Philadelphia so was probably aware of Dr. Innes because he was always telling me about the aquarium he had back in the 30's. Model Rocketry ? Never read any books about them but I sure burned up a lot of Estes engines and crashed a lot of their rockets. Now let's talk about Colin Fletcher. I did a lot of backpacking in my younger days and The Complete Walker was my bible. I've read The Man Who Walked Through Time and The Thousand Mile Summer is still on my reading list. Looking forward to that. Terrible the end that Mr. Fletcher came to . Great reading and great books from great authors .
Hello. Whoa! You all go way back! Kind of like me. I got into the hobby some time ago, 2005 or 6 maybe. I'm retired now, but my interest in the hobby hasn't slacked off one bit.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

@10 Tanks Yes , there are a few real old timers in the tropical fish hobby on this forum. Gary is one and so is @TwoTankAmin and @Slaphppy7 . Veterans of fiberglass filter floss , stainless steel framed aquariums and no knowledge of cycling. Amazing that we all kept our fish alive and stayed after it. Being retired myself I enjoy having the time to really devote myself to my aquariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back