Hey everyone, I am a newbie!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Greg Davis

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby itself, I got some fish for my daughter but of course I'm doing all the maintenance I went from a 10 gallon glo tank to a 37 gallon tank that I turned into a glotank so now I have two tanks and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why I am having these spikes in ammonia it's been over a 3 months it's still in the "safe zones but I rather not have any at all. I am also starting to notice red gills in both tanks, this has been consuming all my time and it's starting to become more of a stressor than a stress reliever. I just need help honestly.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby itself, I got some fish for my daughter but of course I'm doing all the maintenance I went from a 10 gallon glo tank to a 37 gallon tank that I turned into a glotank so now I have two tanks and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why I am having these spikes in ammonia it's been over a 3 months it's still in the "safe zones but I rather not have any at all. I am also starting to notice red gills in both tanks, this has been consuming all my time and it's starting to become more of a stressor than a stress reliever. I just need help honestly.
Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

The red gills sound like Ammonia burns to me. What are your water parameters?

How many fish and what kind do you have in your tanks?

Sorry yall I just finish doing a 50% water change in the 37g and the 10g and walked the dogs..

Hello and welcome to the forum, Sorry you are being stressed. Do you have any live plants in your tanks? As @utahfish asked the number and type of fish is important to know. Also how much and how often do you feed your fish? When you do your water changes do you vacuum the gravel? These are all things that can cause a spike in ammonia.

I have a 37 gallon tank and a 10gallon tank. I have banana plants( destroyed the leaves with ph lowering powder) and moss balls in the 10gallon and just moss balls in the 37 gallon 37gallon contains: 6 glofish, 3 Cory catfish, 1 dwarf crayfish and 3 shrimps and 2 snails. 10gallon contains: 4 tetra glofish if I'm not mistaken, 1 cory, 1 crayfish, 4 snails.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Sorry you are being stressed. Do you have any live plants in your tanks? As @utahfish asked the number and type of fish is important to know. Also how much and how often do you feed your fish? When you do your water changes do you vacuum the gravel? These are all things that can cause a spike in ammonia.
I answered your question in my latest post

I feed about every three days, that's the first thing I did when j noticed the first spike, I actually just took out all the fake plant I had in there, I have about 17-171/2 inches of fish in the 37 but I was killing the space with all the stuff I had in there, so i cut it down alot, thank God for amazon or i would have lost out on so much money.

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 37 gallon tank and a 10gallon tank. I have banana plants( destroyed the leaves with ph lowering powder) and moss balls in the 10gallon and just moss balls in the 37 gallon 37gallon contains: 6 glofish, 3 Cory catfish, 1 dwarf crayfish and 3 shrimps and 2 snails. 10gallon contains: 4 tetra glofish if I'm not mistaken, 1 cory, 1 crayfish, 4 snails.
Id take the cory from the ten and put him with the corys in the 37. Corydoras are a shoaling fish and should be kept in groups even if not of the same cory species. Other than that doesnt seem your fish stocking are leading to high ammonia. When you do your water changes are you keeping the filter sponge in or replacing it?Replacing it will kill all the beneficial bacteria on it which would lead to ammonia spike.

Id take the cory from the ten and put him with the corys in the 37. Corydoras are a shoaling fish and should be kept in groups even if not of the same cory species. Other than that doesnt seem your fish stocking are leading to high ammonia. When you do your water changes are you keeping the filter sponge in or replacing it?Replacing it will kill all the beneficial bacteria on it which would lead to ammonia spike.
Keeping it I only changed my polisher pad. And I'll do that when i get home, I have a few shrimps on the way an 2 pom pom crabs, which tank do you recommend I put them in? And I also did a drastic water change for the last two days, I'm kinda nervous but im hoping I fixed the problem, I did an 80% yesterday morning and a 40% today the ammonia is gone for now, I will test it again when I get home tonight

Yes I vaccum the gravel as well

Sorry, we have to ask these question, we try and eliminate things that may cause a spike in ammonia . Have you used medication in your tank? How often do you have these spikes. One suggest would be to add live plants that absorb ammonia. Plants like water sprite, anacharis, hornwort and moneywort are fast growing plants that you can plant or allow to float. They are easy to care for because they absorb what they need from the water (ammonia)

Large water changes won’t hurt. Don’t be afraid to do them. I do a 75% on all my tanks once a week. At times, we recommend doing 75% changes every day for 2 weeks if a situation is a water issue or an illness based on something in tank. Glad to have you here and welcome!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back