Hexagon tank stocking ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My tank is two feet tall, 1 foot wide, and each side of the hexagon is eight inches roughly

You want to look at less active swimming fish, and there are a number of species from the Amazon basin that fit this requirement. I will just list species that occur to me, you can look them up on Seriously Fish to see photos and find data. But all of these will do quite well in a "tall" tank. If you can find branches to place from bottom up the tank near the top you will have a perfect geographical aquascape fort these fish. Lower plants are not needed, but floating are as these fish live in flooded forest and small blackwater or clearwater streams that are dimly lit.

Nannostomus eques [this fish remains at the surface and swims in an oblique angle so ideal for upper level]
Nannostomus marginatus
Nannostomus mortenthaleri
Parachierodon simulans
Parachierodon axelrodi
Corydoras pygmaeus
Corydoras hastatus
Corydoras habrosus
Rineloricaria parva
[the common and smaller whiptail]
Hyphessobrycon amandae
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis
Chilodus punctatus
Characidium fasciatum
Poecilocharax weitzmani

Obviously not all of these, but any of the above can be combined with no issues. All are shoaling, except the Rineloricaria, and somewhat the Chilodus and Characidium, so a group of the species is necessary. Numbers will depend on the final species selection, but it is always better to have more of each species with fewer species than the reverse.

I completely agree. I was wanting nano fish, so how does this stocking sound? If I have a decently planted tank with some floating plants and a big driftwood in the middle and sticking up, could I have neon tetra, Pygmy Corys, otos, and maybe some small killifish

I completely agree. I was wanting nano fish, so how does this stocking sound? If I have a decently planted tank with some floating plants and a big driftwood in the middle and sticking up, could I have neon tetra, Pygmy Corys, otos, and maybe some small killifish
No neons, they need a 3 foot tank with swimming room. The pygmy are fine. Otos probably

Neon tetra are not strictly speaking "nano" fish, and in fact most of what I previously suggested are not nano species. But they are all relatively inactive fish that do suit this type of tank very well, while providing a lot of interest and colour, depending which you select.

If you want "neon" fish there are the two closely-related species I listed, both of which are well suited, especially Paracheirodon simulans. Corydoras pygmaeus I also included previously. Otocinclus might be OK later, but this fish especially is not always good in newer tanks so I would wait before adding a small group.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back