Here's one for ya.....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Now, I'm not big on the physical aspects blah blah blah of snails.
I was watching my Apple (thinks it's and apple) snail the other day and saw something I found odd.

Anyway-

It looked like a clearish white sea anemone on the snails shell. It was pulsating and moving what looked like tenticles in the water. The snail acts healthy and is growing by leaps and bouds. I dont think it was coming out from under the shell- really looked like it was ON his shell. It is still there I believe. Don't ask for pictures- there is no way my webcam could get one,lol.

Anyone have ideas as to what it might be?
Is it a natural part of the snail?
A parasite? All my fish are healthy-etc.

I'm bum fuzzled. :huh:

wow....bizarre.....not a clue sorry but if ur fish r healthy i wouldn't worry too much.

It's a hydra a member of the cnidarians (silent c jellyfish and anemones are the other close members) they can come in on live food and are very rare. they are harmless to all but the smallest of fry and many aquarists go ther entire lives with out ever seeing one.you could either kill it (your fingers would work best or a betta) or leave it no hrm either way if you are not a breeder.

Opcn

Okay I looked up freshwater Hydra and the pictures dont look like whats on my snail. I take it they come in many shapes and sizes?
Mine is more flat and circular.
Imagine smashing Silly Putty flat and then pulling up parts to make "arms". Thats what these looks like.
Oh yeah- it's getting bigger now. :eek:
This is really quite facsinating. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back