Here's Another One Considering To Go Marine!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
RR, much obliged! And surely I didn't want to put any rush on you, I apologize. I probably got spoiled from the many answers received in the brackish/freshwater forum. This one is definitely quieter!
sleeping.gif

Can you please explain me why are those microbubbles so feared? I read around that their accumulation MAY possibly kill a siphon (the overflow box), and even that they can irritate gills (!), but I even read that they can be totally neglected, especially in a FO aquarium. What is it exactly with these microbubbles?? I won't have room for baffles, anyway, except two room separators.

I undoubtedly see the point of having the skimmer in the first chamber. However, I still hope of minimizing space if I can fit it with the pump in the last section, and, as shown in the graph above, have its outflow back in chamber 1, thus reducing microbubbles (maybe). Does it sound reasonable??

So, in the central chamber you're suggesting more rocks, rather than a DSB? Even if I'm planning plenty of rocks in the display tank? Wouldn't it be better to diversify the kind of filtration? In the display tank, live rocks and macroalgae, in the sump skimmer and DSB. That was my idea, at least. Remember I also deal with 40 mg/l of nitrates from the tap...

Those live rocks from whitecorals.com: they claim they are cured, hand-picked from Indonesia (Sulawesi), "Perfectly conditioned in our special live rock facilities". They appear particularly porous (to a beginner like me), and indeed they say they are particularly light. Those guys also sell WYSIWYG corals, and those things should be treated really carefully: they have a full guarantee on them, you just get your money back by simply sending them a photo, no questions asked. That sounds impressive to me. Also, they're Germans, and in all these years of online purchases from there, I can't recall one case of unsatisfaction... Obviously, I WILL asking lots of questions, before sending an order. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Maurizio

No worries I didn't feel rushed.

Micro bubbles are a pain becouse they look horrible in a display tank they tend to frighten the fish and those are two main reasons I try to avoid them. Since I've never had a syphone style overflow I really can't comment on how bubbles would affect them. And I aslo don't know about them causing gill problems.

A single thin piece of glass or acrylic is all you need to creat a baffle so while I can understand you choosing to go without them keep in mind they really don't take up that much space.

As for putting the skimmer in the return pump section it can be done and running the outflow back to the start of the sump like in that pic would work. Keep in mind though that the skimmer would be going through the same water twice as its outflow water got returned right back to it instead of going into the tank then all the way through the sump again.
Again because of how a sump is set up it honestly won't take up any more room in the front of the sump then it will at the end with the return pump. It's still the same size and will require the same space no matter where it's placed.

I've read so much on deep sand beds it hurts the brain to think about it but even after all that reading I found that people are pretty much split on it. Half saying its a great way to filter and add biodiversity to the system and the other half saying the sand will become nitrate logged and crash your system when it starts to leach back into the water.
One way to avoid this is replace the deep sand bed after a set time. But I chose to go with no deep sand bed because I simply couldn't find enough positive things to outweigh the possible negatives involved. I aslo didn't fancy having to change the sand bed out over time since changing sand is a huge pain. Instead I opted for more live rock and a bigger skimmer.
I have a simple philosophy when it comes to live rock and that is no matter how much of it you have more will never ever hurt.
So here's what I'd suggest for you. Bigger skimmer, lots of live rock and tons of macro algae.

After reading more about that rock and what you said it sounds like it's worth a try.

RR, thanks.

I've been investigating a bit about rubble vs. DSB in the sump, and I see your point. I only remain with the doubt that, since denitrifiers are essentially anaerobic, rubble won't help me with nitrates, whereas a DSB might.

Cheers

Maurizio

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back