Here We Go Again!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shelley120861

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!  I am new (again) to tropical fish keeping.  I found an awesome set up which includes everything but fish for $100!  I couldn't pass the deal up.  So, after keeping saltwater fish for 8 years, I'm back starting up a tropical tank.  I have not had a tropical tank since 1993 and have forgotten everything!  I will be posting for help with this!  Anyway, I'm from Louisiana and am excited I found the board!  Just wanted to tell you all hello!  Here's a copy of the tank when I bought it.

Attachments

• 10395183_10201234055013394_9021226526506252713_n.jpg
    10395183_10201234055013394_9021226526506252713_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 82
Thank you!  This was the previous owner's pic she sent to me when I inquired about the tank.  I think those may be slate pieces in the tank, but not sure?  I thought it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up!  LOL!

Great deal for only $100! We're happy to help in any way we can?

Did the tank include the mature media from the filter? How long since it had fish in it?

I hate to sound dumb, but i'm not sure what "mature media from the filter" is?  I'm not quite sure how long since she's had fish.  I'm going to break it down and restart the whole system.  Not looking forward to the 5 week cycle, but I'm not in any rush :)

The filter media is the stuff you put in the filter to clean the water.... floss, sponges, cartridges, ceramics, etc.  This is where the bacteria live that convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate.

If that has been used recentl (and kept wet) you can expect that you will get a much shorter cycle period than 5 or 6 weeks.  If not, then just getting some from someone else with an established tank will also help with that process and speed up the process.

HEY!! That's a nice tank you got there! I can tell you have an eye for a bargain!! :)

They have a product I believe it's called Start Right for Tropical Tanks.  Is this ok to use?  Or should I wait it out for the 5 week cycle?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back