Here I am 'again'

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna be honest. At this point I just want to slap myself in the face. I have researched other centerpieces because, the only other one besides the dwarf gourami's which i can get because of the guppy problems is an angel fish. Half the websites are saying 10 gallons are fine and half the websites are saying 30 gallons is fine. I need a straight answer. If i can not keep them I will scrap the center piece thing😥 and just have a bunch of small fish. My mum said she would bring me to the fish store on Friday so i need answers before then. I got banned from fishlore for posting to many threads so plz tell me if this is to many. In short can i keep 1 angel fish, 1 angel fish in a 15 gallon with the other fish. Thank you very much.

Because of the length and height of an adult angel you need and unlike a lot of fish you need tall. So if anything more than 30 gallons.

Also they prefer a shoal I hear. You could possibly squeeze a single one into a 30 gallon tall (in terms of bioload with plenty of space for other fish still) but I suspect it would fell stressed from being alone and from being a little cramped.

I would love angels myself, but I resigned myself I need a fairly large tank for 5 or 6.... and then still have the hastle of off loading the spares if a pair forms

Absolutely not in a 15 gallon! Get a shoal of small tetras or rasboras.

Sorry but you are severely limited on your choice of fish in an aquarium that small. Ignore the pretty pictures on the box that it came in, that is purely a marketing ploy to get you to buy it.

Tbh if I had a small aquarium like yours I might go with a solo Honey Gourami with 4-6 Chilli Rasbora or a nice solo male Betta without tankmates as they can turn quite nasty towards anything they perceive as an intruder in their territory.

Well planted up (artificial or real), a dark substrate, a few rocks and some wood with Honey Gourami and the Chilli's....beautiful colours from the fish, easy to keep, no real special care needed just the normal water changes each week and filteration maintenance. Be aware that as with all Gourami and Betta, they should never be mixed due to fighting (related species) and never use anything with "fix" in the name like Melafix as it will severely damage or even kill them due to their need to surface breathe.

I concur, definitely no Gouramis and DEFINITELY no anglefish.

Only species of tetra I would put in there, is maybe a small shoal of ember tetras.

Maybe look into the “nano” species of rasboras.

14 gallons is not big enough for an angelfish unfortunately. You are looking for a centerpiece fish? What is your other planned stock so far?

You shouldn't get banned for posting threads that I know of, but staying on top of existing threads and trying to combine subjects into minimal numbers of threads helps everyone know exactly what you are talking about. For instance, one stocking thread. But you are new here, and this is genuinely one of the best fish forums out there. We are mostly understanding here ;)

What is your water hardness and pH?

This will help greatly so that we know what specie of nano fish to suggest as some are suitable for soft water and others are hard water species.

A standard 15 gallon tank has some options for a small shoal of fish, not a huge choice granted but there will surely be something you might like.

But first will need to know the water hardness, you can get an idea of hardness by going to your water suppliers website and looking up water quality or water hardness,

Or if you have one, a test kit for gH and kH.

Perhaps lastly by taking a clean sample of tap water to LFS and they may be able to test the water hardness, not all LFS offers this and usually there is a small fee for this service.

Ok so I looked back over your other threads, and it looks like they are are mostly all relatively on the same subjects. Stocking and setting up your 14 gallon tank. You can have one thread for that, and ask all your questions. The threads are like a conversation, you can ask as many questions as you have relating to the topic, we answer, you can ask more questions, we answer those too.

It sounds like you are wanting a peaceful freshwater community tank, with little fish and a centerpiece? If you can tell us your GH, we can help plan your stocking. If it were me (and your gh allows) I would get 8-12 pygmy cories, 8-12 of one of the types of micro rasboras or neon tetras, and a centerpiece fish.

But it is very dependent on the dimensions of your tank and your GH. So if you could get us those it would go a long way in helping us help you!

Last edited:
You need at least a 20H or better a 29H for a pair of Angels and although I may claim to my wife that size doesn't matter, when it comes to aquariums and larger fish, bigger is better. Imagine these fish in the wild of the Amazon river with miles and miles to swim about... then we put these creatures in little glass boxes to look at and admire. As good fishkeepers, we can give them a good life, but we simply must give them a home of adequate size, with high quality food and water. I have seen Oscars and Jack Dempsey's in small tanks at one fish store or another and I think how sad it is for any creature to be confined in such a small space! It makes me [also] think of the lion or tiger in a small cage, unhappily pacing back and forth. Imagine if you were confined in a small room.
So stick with a selection of smaller fish for your 14g tank. Btw, 14g is a somewhat non-standard size - are you sure it's not either 10g or 15g?

Most reactions

trending

Back