Here goes - Tank Two - Low Tech/Walstad style

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I thought I’d update this thread…what a long process and what a differance between the planned tank and the finished item!

I battled exploding soil, a total re-plant, amazing algae and 🐌 🐌 🐌

Then, the tank would just not finish cycling… that last 0.25 of ammonia would just not shift 😡. I ended up buying three guppies and finished of the cycle as a “fish in” checking the water and changing some out every day for almost a week before I was getting zeros…

The tank has always had a heater but now also has an Ehiem filter and so lights! It does have quite a lot of plants but they hadn’t been that successful so we’re getting replaced reasonably regularly (they seem to be doing better with the new light). There is still a pothos… 6610869C-FA51-4A0E-9CE8-908B2404AC0B.jpeg

The tank was supposed to house Blue Star Endlers but the time it took so long to sort that I lost my access to those (and I didn’t want to buy a large number in one go as there was this persistent 0.25 ammonia to worry about).

So it now houses 16 male guppies, they are so pretty, and change from mint through silver and lemon and yellow.

I‘m a little bit worried with the 16, as I thought that was the number I was aiming for, but double checking on AqAdvisor it says I’m about 25% over, I’m testing the water every other day and so far so good. I have only got males which are smaller than the females and AqAdvisor recommends 1M to 2F, so I might just get away with it 🤞. I spend far more hours watching them (and trying to count them) than I should do. There’s a tiny bit of hair algae but I think I’m getting the better of that now. Here’s a photo I took yesterday.

Very nice Nanna 🤗

I just started following this journal. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. I know this isn't what you had originally planned, but the tank looks really nice! The best laid plans... ;)

As far as aqadvisor's 25% overstock, you are probably ok. For one, I believe aqadvisor is a bit conservative. For another, you are well-planted. Which Eheim do you have?

May I ask you a question NannaLou? First of all I must say I like very much your crazy ideas and projects, to realize something like that isn't easy when you are a beginner in the aquaristic ( have you already heard about what a "poubellarium" does be?). Well my question is, when you are speaking of 24 x 12 x 12 for your tank, that is not in cm, I'm right? Your english measurements drive me crazy I must say. I've not read yet this complete thread (you know my head beginns to overheat and will explode soon) but I want to, I find it really nice and interesting, aufwiedersehen! (and well done!).

In the UK, older people grew up using inches rather than cm. After the UK changed to metric, we still find it easier to think in inches and convert to cm. Young people have known only cm so they use cm.
And American members do not use cm, they use inches.

In the UK, older people grew up using inches rather than cm.
It's funny because when I'm doing woodwork or something with a fish tank my brain defaults to inches. Everything else my brain just uses CM. I was born in the '80's as well so no idea why my brain goes to inches.

@NannaLou tank is looking lovely. All the effort you have put in definitely shows!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back