Herds.

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Anyone else love watching their cories either chill out in big herds or parade around the tank like a bunch of nuts??

My paleatus (total 8)
20200409_195043.jpg

20200409_195150.jpg

My aeneus (7 + 1 aeneus/schultzei hybrid), weitzmani (4), and ambiacus (1)
20200404_182223.jpg

My trilineatus (7 + 1 trilineatus/panda hybrid)
20200313_220417.jpg

My pygmaeus (10) these guys are hard to get shots of because theyre more nocturnal than my others.
20200311_060618.jpg

I love picture #4! I don't personally have Cory's, but I would love to get some. I have the room for them, in my 29g tank, I just don't have the funds. :(

I love picture #4! I don't personally have Cory's, but I would love to get some. I have the room for them, in my 29g tank, I just don't have the funds. :(
Well, a group of 6-10 aeneus would be affordable, and of all the species i keep i find them to be the all around best. Sociable with one another, goofy, active and not skittish. I even have a couple who will come nibble on my hands.
You can get them very cheap too as theyre the most easily obtainable cory in the hobby.
Ironically i always seen them in stores and found them boring. But i ended up taking in a few in really bad shape on deaths door and their personality won me over hard. Theyre my favourite for their personality. These are two checking out my hand, 2 of my rescues. I rescued 3 who were emaciated, covered in flukes, and had ripped and missing fins. I wasnt leaving them in the condition they were in.
I really, really recommend this species for their personality and resilience.
20191228_021804.jpg

Before and after of the worst off rescue, my little Blip
20191213_165620.jpg

20200309_133705.jpg

Paleatus are great too, but theyre more bullish and will not hesitate to push other fish out of the way for food. I used to house all my cories together in smaller groups of each, and the paleatus had no qualms ramming the less rambunctious cories away from food. I find them more jumpy and wary (except my albinos). But they shoal the tightest of my cories too, especially during water changes.

Pygmaeus are usually cheap, i got mine $2.50 CAD each. These guys are way more skittish and nocturnal i find. Adorable with the way they hover and flap their little pectoral fins as they sit in the same spot midair to check something out. But a big group is a must. I started with 7 and never seen them. Upped it to 10 and now i see them sometimes during the day, but mostly after lights out. So id definitely say go 10 or more for these ones if you choose them. They stay super tiny, so be aware of what tankmates go with them. Theyre better suited for tanks 10gal up, but could do species only in a 5 with a group of 6.

My weitzmani are skittish and shy, but i don't have a full shoal. I had 5 but one passed (he was in bad shape when he shipped in). Theyre beautiful and adorable, but also harder to find and cost quite a bit more. (I ordered 2 to up the group i had to 5 and i paid $50CAD). Im waiting for my only source to restock them so i can try to up their shoal again. I wouldn't recommend them for you for affordability reasons.

My ambiacus oddball, this is a beautiful cory. Not easy to find but i would recommend it if you can find them. Mine was a bycatch in a group of trilineatus. I have not been able to find more, order them in, or find them online in my country as they are truly a by-catch species in my country unfortunately. But other places may be able to get their hands on them easier. Very calm cory, he likes to hang out with my others just fine. Kinda looks like the emo misfit of the group with his droopy little eyes lol

So cool :) I miss my cories

Most reactions

trending

Back