Hemichromis Exul - Turkana Jewel Cichlid

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am considering picking up some Hemichromis Exul to breed and sell. They seem to be very uncommon and very, very beautiful.

I cannot find much on this fish - almost all literature that I've seen is related to the traditional Jewel Cichlid and not the variant from Lake Turkana.

Anyone have additional information on this beautiful fish?

Hello friends,

I am considering picking up some Hemichromis Exul to breed and sell. They seem to be very uncommon and very, very beautiful.

I cannot find much on this fish - almost all literature that I've seen is related to the traditional Jewel Cichlid and not the variant from Lake Turkana.

Anyone have additional information on this beautiful fish?
im responding so i can see further replies
i dont have chiclids but they r cool

Definitely! If I decide to breed them and you are interested, let me know! I'm in Illinois!

I'm wondering if @Byron or @Colin_T have experience with them or know where to look. The best info I can find about them is:
1. Discovered in 1930
2. They are smaller and less aggressive than regular Jewels

That's about it.

Last edited:
Seems that no one knows anything about these guys. Spoke to a friend that bought 5 for an auction for $1 --> no one knew what they were from their scientific name and they are slow to color up.

While I would still love to learn more, I do not believe they will be utilized for my breeding project.

Never heard of them until you started this thread. According to Dr Googley, they are more peaceful than normal jewel cichlids, which can only be a good thing because the original jewel cichlids are horrible little bastard fish when they mature and start breeding.

I don't think they will be a big seller. People will have a hard time getting over the fact they aren't as agro as the normal type and that will reduce sales.

Unfortunately more unusual cichlids are unusual because they are either agro or drab. About the only cichlids worth breeding on mass are angelfish and blue rams because everyone knows what they are.

Other cichlids are worth breeding if you have space for them but most are not huge sellers. So you might sell 10 here and 20 there but they usually breed too fast and before long you have hundreds of them taking up space and nobody wants them. I think you will find these new jewel cichlids to be in that category. Some shops will take a few but most will sit at your house.

I've seen exul on lists, and probably seen them at an importer's. With a lot of Hemichromis, you can only be sure what you're seeing if you know their exact provenance, and unless you get them from friends you trust, that means wild fish from very reputable importers. For a long time, lifallili was the sought after one, and lots of jewel group fish were sold under that name because their rep was as less aggressive and smaller too. I got the real thing once and other species twice.

My problem with every Hemichromis I've bred is that no one wants the fry, and man, they produce fry. The babies are actually quite pretty from the get go, but the aggressive nature of the fish shuts down sales. They are easy fish to manage in large aquariums, but at one pair per tank, that quickly becomes a lot of space and money devoted to them.

Somehow, one lake on a vast continent has become the source of all "African Cichlids" in the minds of inexperienced aquarists, and while Lake Malawi mbunas are cool, their keeping is radically different from the far more interesting Cichlid species that occur elsewhere on the continent.

trivia - the supposed common jewel is Hemichromis bimaculatus, and odds are, that fish has never been kept in aquariums. It was a misidentification from the start. But my limited experience with the group (I have bred 4 species and kept 7) says they are all pretty adaptable, and similar in their needs. Some need bigger tanks than others, due to their size, but as long as the tanks are large enough for you to manage their fierceness, just add water and get ready for thousands of babies no one will buy.

Never heard of them until you started this thread. According to Dr Googley, they are more peaceful than normal jewel cichlids, which can only be a good thing because the original jewel cichlids are horrible little bastard fish when they mature and start breeding.

I don't think they will be a big seller. People will have a hard time getting over the fact they aren't as agro as the normal type and that will reduce sales.

Unfortunately more unusual cichlids are unusual because they are either agro or drab. About the only cichlids worth breeding on mass are angelfish and blue rams because everyone knows what they are.

Other cichlids are worth breeding if you have space for them but most are not huge sellers. So you might sell 10 here and 20 there but they usually breed too fast and before long you have hundreds of them taking up space and nobody wants them. I think you will find these new jewel cichlids to be in that category. Some shops will take a few but most will sit at your house.
"Horrible little bastard fish" 🤣 You're 100% correct - I've bred traditional jewels.

I have come to that conclusion myself about not being big sellers - no one knows what they are and they can take a long time to color up.

@GaryE thanks for that input. My original jewel's would produce 200-300 fry each batch so I know exactly what you mean.

I love jewels, and I don't consider them "horrible bastard fish". It's not fair. They are miserable bastard fish.

A couple of weeks ago I saw two different wild varieties of Hemichromis elongatus. Now that's the horrible one. It's a beautiful, really smart predatory fish - an eater of my beloved killifish. But so pretty.

I managed to keep walking, but. If you have the space and are a little hard-hearted about the future of their fry, the whole group is really interesting. But too violent for me - I am going to try to keep walking past them when I see them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back