Tank size: 66L
pH:7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
kH:?
gH:? very soft
tank temp:24 deg

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Veil tail Blue Betta. He has been doing really well. recovery by himself when he had a hole in his tail fin. Usually very active. Last night i noticed a platy had a white cotton growth on his lip and another had a patch of different colour scales on his side.
I enquired on here for help..but i only had Melafix. I did alot of googling and decided it couldnt wait so i added half dose of Melafix (5ml) with the 1-4 ratio. Today the Betta has been opening his gills fully like he's gasping for air.. Have i poisioned him?
I did quarentine him, in a 4 litre bowl...but he was still gasping and started to look more stressed..so i moved him back into the 66L after a 90% W/C. Then i had to redose Melafix for the platies.
There is a 50/50 arguement over Melafix..i will never forgive myself if im wrong

Volume and Frequency of water changes: got to day 55 of cycle...wasnt progressing, so abandoned and got some platy's, water parameters were constant 0, so added 2 more platy's and 2 cory's....still 0's so added 4 more corys and the Betta.
50% W/C initially, 80% change for a Amm spike due to brine shrimp. Another 30% change. 40% a few days ago and a 90% today
when needed ATM

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Aqua safe+ dechlor. 5ml of Melafix. Sponge Media.

Tank inhabitants: 5x Platy's 6x Corydoras and the Betta

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): nothing for a couple of weeks.

Exposure to chemicals: Melafix

Digital photo (include if possible): cant catch him gasping

where is everyone????

Might sound like a silly question but melafix will remove oxygen out the water although bettas can breathe from the waters surface they still take oxygen out the water, if you have not done so already add an airstone

as for the white cotton like stuff, sounds like fungus, you can by treatment for fungus from any LFS, i always tend to go for the salt route if i got any signs of fungus.

1 x teaspoon for every 4ltrs of water 25% water change for the next week, and put your carbon back in your filter, if you removed it when you added the melafix, plus stop melafix treatment this will not help against fungus

be sure its aquarium salt again you can get this from your LFS remember what you take out during water changes you need to replace so buy enough salt

hope this helps

You sure he's not flaring? 'Opening his gills fully' sounds a bit like he might just be getting angry at some of his tank mates!

he was doing it when i seperated him for a bit too..i googled flaring and on the video's none of the fish have a gaping mouth when the gills go out. He looks like he's Gagging/wretching ( a long gag) he did eat some bloodworm this morning. Now he is just swimming around like mad taking lots of surface breaths...
Yes i have the Airstone on. Is it Gill Flukes???

There's probably just not enough oxygen in the water. I;d do a nice big water change to dilute whatever meds you've put in there as it looks like they're causing breathing issues.

EDIT: sorry, I missed the part where you said you'd done 90% today - I assume that was after the melafix? Hmmm, mysterious :(

Firstly, NO aquarium salt in the tank with the cories! they are sensitive to salt.

when did the gasping start. Before the melafix or since the addition of? I dont believe in using melafix as clean water has the same outcome and i have had horrible experiences with the stuff, particularly with bettas. I recommend not using that.

any other symptoms? flicking or rubbing? stringy white or mucousy poo? bloated or skinny?
is the patch on its side getting bigger? or the white fuzz on his mouth?
a pic of the mouth fuzz and patch you described on the fish's side would be helpful. Descriptions are good but photos are better.

is the betta still active or being harassed by tankmates(or harassing the tankmates?)
does the fish look pale? is it hiding away or still generally active?
lots of questions I know, but trying to pinpoint the cause. If those stats are correct for your water probably not down to water quality. Also doubtful lack of O2 if none of the other fish are gasping.
all the best
cheers

Firstly, NO aquarium salt in the tank with the cories! they are sensitive to salt.

i didnt add any salt :)
when did the gasping start. Before the melafix or since the addition of? I dont believe in using melafix as clean water has the same outcome and i have had horrible experiences with the stuff, particularly with bettas. I recommend not using that.

Since the Melafix i will never add it to a Betta tank again!

any other symptoms? flicking or rubbing? stringy white or mucousy poo? bloated or skinny?
He was darting around like a looney, TBH not seen him poo at all?? His belly looks rounded but not overly
is the patch on its side getting bigger? or the white fuzz on his mouth?
a pic of the mouth fuzz and patch you described on the fish's side would be helpful. Descriptions are good but photos are better.
It was 2 platy's that had the symptoms of Columaris .NOT the Betta..but was treating the whole tank

is the betta still active or being harassed by tankmates(or harassing the tankmates?)
He was keeping himself to himself...i havent seen the Platies attack him...they are scared of him..lol
does the fish look pale? is it hiding away or still generally active?
His head went a grey colour and the tips of his fins went red small front long fins normally have a red streak in them..they went dark and blackish. He was going nuts Zipping around up and down.

lots of questions I know, but trying to pinpoint the cause. If those stats are correct for your water probably not down to water quality. Also doubtful lack of O2 if none of the other fish are gasping.
all the best
cheers

I honestly dont think its the water as the test have been constant 0's with Low Nitrate. And i've been doing lots of W/C's. BIG ones 50% plus.

have now removed him and put him in my Tank 3 (which will double as a hospital tank)
His front long fins coloured back up straight away, and the red tips on his tail fins disappered.
The hole has changed to the long horizontal oblong circular shape again not rounded like a O. He swan up to greet me...but is still somewhat settling in..so i've left him to it now.
Post transfer water tests ( 2 done in a space of 2/3 hrs) Amm = 0 Nitrite = 0 Nitrate = 5 and Ph = 7.6 Temp is 30 (is this ok?)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back