Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hassan 2021

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi this is my electric blue acara

I have noticed this thread like thing coming out of his anus and he has been flashing today as well. He is swimming and eating normally.

I did a water change today as well

I have zero ammonia zero nitrite.

Help please

Attachments

• 20220606_232811.jpg
    20220606_232811.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220606_232955.jpg
    20220606_232955.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220606_232956.jpg
    20220606_232956.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 28
Thread worms (Camallanus or Capillaria)

See section 3 of the following link for treating fish with intestinal worms.

Thread worms (Camallanus or Capillaria)

See section 3 of the following link for treating fish with intestinal worms.
Thank you colin. This morning I took out the carbon and dosed the whole tank with ndx (180 drops) on esha website it says to do a 1 day treatment water change after 24 hours. Do I need to repeat the same treatment once every 4 weeks?

eSHa says to repeat the course after 14 days for egg laying worms, and in really bad cases, a third course after another 14 days. I think camallanus worms are livebearers, incubating the eggs inside the female's body, but it's worth doing the second course just in case.

Thank you I will repeat the dosage as instructed it's just that I get really anxious when using medications

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24 hours after treatment.

Re-treat the tank 1-2 weeks after that and do another 75% water change and gravel clean 24 hours after treatment.

Re-treat again 1-2 weeks after that and do another water change and gravel clean.

You do follow up treatments 1 to 2 weeks after to kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs. The eggs are not affected by the medication so unless you do follow up treatments, there's a very good chance the fish will become re-infected.

Always do a huge water change and gravel clean 24 hours later to remove any expelled worms. You should also clean the filter after each treatment to remove any worms sucked into the filter.

After 3 treatments the fish should be completely free of the parasites.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24 hours after treatment.

Re-treat the tank 1-2 weeks after that and do another 75% water change and gravel clean 24 hours after treatment.

Re-treat again 1-2 weeks after that and do another water change and gravel clean.

You do follow up treatments 1 to 2 weeks after to kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs. The eggs are not affected by the medication so unless you do follow up treatments, there's a very good chance the fish will become re-infected.

Always do a huge water change and gravel clean 24 hours later to remove any expelled worms. You should also clean the filter after each treatment to remove any worms sucked into the filter.

After 3 treatments the fish should be completely free of the parasites.
Thank you so much Colin

1st dosage update:

I dosed the tank with ndx 9 In the morning today and it's almost 8 in the evening now due to do a water change tomorrow morning.

That pointy worm thing from last night looks all curled up to the side now still visible out of his anus. I didn't want to stress him out as he is a bit skittish so I didn't take a photo.

The worm being curled up to the side.. does that mean it's dead now and waiting to be pooped out?

If the fish is nervous and skittish, it usually means you overdosed a bit. But leave it until tomorrow before you do the water change. Make sure you work out the correct amount of water in the tank.

The worms don't normally curl up during treatment, they just get pooped out. However, the worm could be hanging on tight and not wanting to let go. The medication should paralyze the worm and it should let go within a few hours of the medication being added to the tank.

-------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working. You do not need to remove the carbon if you use salt.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using medications or salt in aquariums so the oxygen level stays high.

If the fish is nervous and skittish, it usually means you overdosed a bit. But leave it until tomorrow before you do the water change. Make sure you work out the correct amount of water in the tank.

The worms don't normally curl up during treatment, they just get pooped out. However, the worm could be hanging on tight and not wanting to let go. The medication should paralyze the worm and it should let go within a few hours of the medication being added to the tank.

-------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working. You do not need to remove the carbon if you use salt.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using medications or salt in aquariums so the oxygen level stays high.
Thank you once again Colin that's really useful I will keep you guys updated. Any thoughts on the usage esha gdx medication as well?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back