Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gjohnson130

Reaction score
So i have a 55 gallon African tank, I've had the same fish for quite some time now, i have one that all of the sudden is overly aggressive towards one fish. The more aggressive one seems to have grown a little more than the one he's picking on. I know this breed is aggressive but it's more now than before. I've had both of them for months now. Any suggestions?

Pictures of the fish so we can identify the species and sex of the individuals?
Picture of the tank so we can check it for hiding places.

The fish might have just become sexually mature and are staking out territories. If this is the case, and there isn't enough room for both fish, then the bigger more dominant one will probably kill the smaller one. If this is the case, then they need to be separated permanently.

IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2768.jpg

the blue one is the one not doing so good
IMG_2767.jpg
Here's the bully

The top picture has 2 fish in it (a yellow and a blue). The blue one is getting bashed by the fish in the bottom picture?

If you only have 4 fish in the tank, then the bully has taken over the tank and is trying to remove other males from the territory. The yellow fish is less of a concern to the bully because it is a different colour and is big enough to take care of itself.

You may want to rearrange the tank and add more rocks, plants or ornaments. Try to have taller objects in the tank so they make it harder for the bully to see the other fish.

Adding more fish might help too but try to get them the same size as the bully, and re-arrange the tank just before you add them so there are no established territories.

Or get rid of the bully.

Sorry it’s such a late post - thought ide help anyway

The blue one looks like a demansons cichlid and the other looks like a yellow lab. I also see another one that looks like a hap pundamilia. If you only have 4 fish (I believe Colin said) you need to get more. Ide recommend atleast 30-40 in this tank of similar size cichlids. I also would have placed lots more ocean rock (hiding places) around the tank. These fish are super aggressive and you need to manage the aggression by

1. Lots of fish so they pick on each other evenly
2. Hiding places to hide when they don’t wanna fight each other
3. Feeding well

Edit -

Just read the end of Colin’s post

I think removing the bully will just lead to another cichlid taking its place with that few fish, ide add more

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back