help :/

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I made a thread about taking in a rainbow shark. The friend still wants to give it to me but without the tank. So I will have a close to full grown rainbow shark in a 30 G sharing it's space with 5 corydoras. I don't know if it is better to have it in the smaller tank with clean water and proper food, or have it in a large tank being fed flakes and not receiving any water changes.
thanks in advance y'all :)

Whew, I wouldn't do it. If they're anything like a red-tailed black shark, that's a recipe for disaster. I know I've said it before on here, and it isn't always a popular idea, but I think it's a bad idea to hold yourself responsible for someone else's poor planning (or whatever caused your friend's situation). More than likely, this fish isn't going to be happy in a 30g, and more than likely it will end up terrorizing your cories. In my opinion, this is not your problem unless you make it so, and I think that would be a very bad idea.

Whew, I wouldn't do it. If they're anything like a red-tailed black shark, that's a recipe for disaster. I know I've said it before on here, and it isn't always a popular idea, but I think it's a bad idea to hold yourself responsible for someone else's poor planning (or whatever caused your friend's situation). More than likely, this fish isn't going to be happy in a 30g, and more than likely it will end up terrorizing your cories. In my opinion, this is not your problem unless you make it so, and I think that would be a very bad idea.
Yea, it's a very similar fish. I don't know how I'm gonna tell him :/. That's good advice though, thank you!

Wait is it a red tail, or a rainbow shark, because they are different fish but only by a bit. Red tail's have a very stocky body and rainbows are usually a bit slimmer. Ruby sharks tails are usually a bit less red but when they are happy they can show good colours. I have a ruby shark in a 33 gallon with panda corys and I've had little issues with them. What's crazy, is that my ruby shark isn't even the boss of the tank; my spotted raphael is. He's probably near 4 inches and he hasn't gone for any corys at all. He comes out just after the lights turn off and I watched him last night near enough swallow one of the wafers I put in.

Rainbow sharks have way less attitude than redtails, I would say he should be fine with the cory's give him a cave or something he can call home.

Ok ok lemme do some clarifying. This is what the fish looks like. Slim and ALL fins are red.
1611758412637.png

That is exactly what it looks like, and that comes up under ruby shark and rainbow shark when I look it up.
@itiwhetu I already have a nice cave because this tank was originally going to be used for breeding apistos. Thanks for the advice :)

Red fins all round is a rainbow shark and they are similar but a little more peaceful than the red tail black shark that only has a red tale with black fins.

Well, I'm glad to hear they're nicer. I've never kept rainbows. I had a beautiful red tail for about ten years. He was one of the prettiest fish I've ever owned, always the first one people noticed, but WOW, what a jerk! I named him Archie, after Archie Bunker (if anybody here is old enough to know who that is), and that pretty well summed up his personality.

Well, I'm glad to hear they're nicer. I've never kept rainbows. I had a beautiful red tail for about ten years. He was one of the prettiest fish I've ever owned, always the first one people noticed, but WOW, what a jerk! I named him Archie, after Archie Bunker (if anybody here is old enough to know who that is), and that pretty well summed up his personality.

Attachments

• Archie.jpg
    Archie.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 30
Just watch him with the corys though, sometimes the rainbow sharks will shoulder the corys away but it's normal. Also, this is totally out of context, but would corys like cucumber? Are there any other foods that they like?

Just watch him with the corys though, sometimes the rainbow sharks will shoulder the corys away but it's normal. Also, this is totally out of context, but would corys like cucumber? Are there any other foods that they like?
Yea mine like cucumber, they also like frozen brine shrimp and shrimp pellets. Algae wafers are also good but aren't a real food source because of a lack of protein.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back