HELP

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Leepen78

Reaction score
Hi been keeping tropical fish on and off for years with good success,

Hereā€™s my issue I decided to get back in to the hobby a month ago brought a 120 litre set up and decided to go with a sand substrate for the first time (always used gravel previously)
Hereā€™s my disaster ........washed sand was running clear, set up tank cycled and have started to stick as all tests came back fine....wasnā€™t until I started adding bottom feeders Corys I noticed every time they disturbed my sand or I do a water change or vac the sand Iā€™m still getting a crazy amount of dust thatā€™s is so bad that itā€™s covering everything in my tank including my glass wood and plata etc.........done a 30% water change helped but happed again ..........dosed with a water clarifier which cleared the water crystal clear ........feed the bottom feeders yesterday and noticed the same issue occurring again............done another 50 % water change today as notice my nitrite had started to creep up and used a layer of filter floss and the top inlet of my filter which Iā€™ve been changing and renewing every day as itā€™s covered in sand dust continuously ? I then dosed the tank with API quick start as an emergency due to nitrite levels creeping up ..........so basically every time I disturb the subtract tank cleaning , vacuuming or even bottom feeder movement Iā€™m getting ridiculous amounts of sand dust ..........I donā€™t have a second tank yet so no where to move the fish ? Will they survive this ??? Where do I go from here ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers ?

Hi been keeping tropical fish on and off for years with good success,

Hereā€™s my issue I decided to get back in to the hobby a month ago brought a 120 litre set up and decided to go with a sand substrate for the first time (always used gravel previously)
Hereā€™s my disaster ........washed sand was running clear, set up tank cycled and have started to stick as all tests came back fine....wasnā€™t until I started adding bottom feeders Corys I noticed every time they disturbed my sand or I do a water change or vac the sand Iā€™m still getting a crazy amount of dust thatā€™s is so bad that itā€™s covering everything in my tank including my glass wood and plata etc.........done a 30% water change helped but happed again ..........dosed with a water clarifier which cleared the water crystal clear ........feed the bottom feeders yesterday and noticed the same issue occurring again............done another 50 % water change today as notice my nitrite had started to creep up and used a layer of filter floss and the top inlet of my filter which Iā€™ve been changing and renewing every day as itā€™s covered in sand dust continuously ? I then dosed the tank with API quick start as an emergency due to nitrite levels creeping up ..........so basically every time I disturb the subtract tank cleaning , vacuuming or even bottom feeder movement Iā€™m getting ridiculous amounts of sand dust ..........I donā€™t have a second tank yet so no where to move the fish ? Will they survive this ??? Where do I go from here ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers ?
is the tank cycled? that may be the cause of ammonia spike. i think you shoulld move fish for now and cleanse thw sand again. it may be fine for the cories but annoying to humans lool

Yes the tank had been running for 3 weeks and tests were fine

I assume maybe over cleaning had caused it where Iā€™ve been trying to deal with the dust issues

Most reactions

Back