Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyJon

Reaction score
Hi, need advice please. Fairly new to fish tanks. Especially a bigger one.

We have owned fishes and fish tank for few years, we had a 10 litre with 4 fishes in. A guppy or danino had babies not long ago, we had about 30 but some didnt survive. Now we currently have about 15. We have just recently bought a new fish tank (second hand, 2ft size) so fairly big from what we used to have.

6 days ago we set this tank up to put new fishes in, we used the same filter as we did previously in this one and an extra filter pump (one straight flow and one spray water fall filter) as we were told to put 2 in, due to size of tank, as this tank didnt come with a pump. About 3 days after, the tank started going cloudy, a bit browny colour. Fishes still happy, no change in them. Day 6 (today) the water seems to be getting worse more dirty.

Pet shops are useless for advice, so we thought we would try here for advice. We would like to know what filter/pump is the best for our tank to keep it clean for longer etc? We know the aqua filter we have in is too small. I think thats the problem.

The fishes are cold water, mixture of guppies and daninos we believe, around 15? We are no experts on fishes. I have attached photo from day 1 and to day 3.

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_091110.jpg
    IMG_20200611_091110.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20200616_195511.jpg
    IMG_20200616_195511.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
Hi, need advice please. Fairly new to fish tanks. Especially a bigger one.

We have owned fishes and fish tank for few years, we had a 10 litre with 4 fishes in. A guppy or danino had babies not long ago, we had about 30 but some didnt survive. Now we currently have about 15. We have just recently bought a new fish tank (second hand, 2ft size) so fairly big from what we used to have.

6 days ago we set this tank up to put new fishes in, we used the same filter as we did previously in this one and an extra filter pump (one straight flow and one spray water fall filter) as we were told to put 2 in, due to size of tank, as this tank didnt come with a pump. About 3 days after, the tank started going cloudy, a bit browny colour. Fishes still happy, no change in them. Day 6 (today) the water seems to be getting worse more dirty.

Pet shops are useless for advice, so we thought we would try here for advice. We would like to know what filter/pump is the best for our tank to keep it clean for longer etc? We know the aqua filter we have in is too small. I think thats the problem.

The fishes are cold water, mixture of guppies and daninos we believe, around 15? We are no experts on fishes. I have attached photo from day 1 and to day 3.
I'm guessing an algae bloom. If fish happy then your very limited benificial bacteria from old filter. Is SCREAMING I NEED FRIENDS as they bloom. lol. in day 3 pic it seems murky but not bad at all.

Unless your feeding 1/2 can food your not murky from waste this fast not due to lack of filtration.

Do you have water test kit?

It is not unusual to have a bacteria bloom in "new" tanks which will go away. As @SanDiegoRedneck asked it would be best to have a water testing kit. You want to test your water to make sure enough of the good bacteria transferred to your new tank. Bacteria is also found in the gravel and on objects you have in the old tank. Tetra SafeStart Plus is a good item to consider to add to your tank since it has the right bacteria your tank needs and will help cycle your tank.

oh for sure yes I'm a huge believer in live plants
Years ago I only had plastic plants in my tanks and they were easy to maintain but since I tried live plants I was hooked on them. So many benefits for my fish and improves the natural look of my tanks. I am also a huge believer in live plants. :good:

There's also a white cloud mountain minnow in the first photo. They are not cold water fish either but temperate fish. This means the tank water should not drop below 18 deg C even in the middle of the coldest winter night. White coulds are also shoaling fish which need a group. If there is only one, I would see if you can rehome it.

The fish I mean is in the blue 'circle'

AmyJon's photo.jpg

There's also a white cloud mountain minnow in the first photo. They are not cold water fish either but temperate fish. This means the tank water should not drop below 18 deg C even in the middle of the coldest winter night. White coulds are also shoaling fish which need a group. If there is only one, I would see if you can rehome it.

The fish I mean is in the blue 'circle'

View attachment 107310

I have 3 of those I think. One good size and two other smaller ones. I know what minnows are, didnt realise it was them, I thought they was daninos. 2 smaller ones stay together and one bigger one plays with all the black ones. I've had the big one for about a year, seems to be doing ok

I'm guessing an algae bloom. If fish happy then your very limited benificial bacteria from old filter. Is SCREAMING I NEED FRIENDS as they bloom. lol. in day 3 pic it seems murky but not bad at all.

Unless your feeding 1/2 can food your not murky from waste this fast not due to lack of filtration.

Do you have water test kit?

Where can I get testing kit, whats it called please?

Also, is the 2 pumps fine in this tank? Will that cause any harm. Or would I need to keep one in?

Most of us use the API master test kit which contains tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH (in fact 2 pH testers, one for 6 to 7.6 and one for 7.4 to 8.8).
https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

It is usually cheaper to buy on-line, Amazon and Ebay both sell it. If you feel that is too expensive, you need a single tester for ammonia and nitrite as the minimum as those are the two that can kill fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back