HELP!!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
She might be anxious? Not 100% sure though...

As the others said, keep a close eye on your water parameters.

She might be anxious? Not 100% sure though...

As the others said, keep a close eye on your water parameters.
I’m going to test it everyday so I can keep a very close eye on the water and her. I just found it weird because 2 test have came back with great readings and it’s a only female tank and it has babies in it and everyone else is doing awesome. Acting normal, eating hasn’t changed, swimming the same as they were the whole time and growing perfect. I let her back into the tank because she started to look a little stressed but all she is doing is hiding in a log :/

I’m going to test it everyday so I can keep a very close eye on the water and her. I just found it weird because 2 test have came back with great readings and it’s a only female tank and it has babies in it and everyone else is doing awesome. Acting normal, eating hasn’t changed, swimming the same as they were the whole time and growing perfect. I let her back into the tank because she started to look a little stressed but all she is doing is hiding in a log :/
Hiding is normal, she is probably just stressed.

Definitely fin rot:

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 1-2 weeks.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------

Add some salt.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt
level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Sorry to sort of copy what you always say @Colin_T, but the OP needed help...
If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.
Actually, thats what im trying to do, copying Colins work :rofl:

she had 5 fry last night ^_^ and seems to be doing a little better today still doing a little hiding but is definitely out swimming around more today. Thanks guys

Someone suggested in a private message to use Melafix? What’s that

I wouldn't use it. Some people refer to it as snake oil.

You probably introduced something into your tank. Perhaps the new fish that weren't quarantined...I'm assuming you didn't.

No I did not use it. It’s in the comments and I just posted a update on how she was doing. She had 5 fry last night and she was in labor. I wasn’t able to see how her behavior was the first time, as she gave birth while I was asleep but she gave birth to 5 last night @1am. Thanks

Good afternoon guys. So I had 1 of my experienced tropical fish friends visit from Florida who owns and runs his own business down there. He checked all 5 tanks and helped start the cycle of 2 more tanks for me. He treated all my tanks with salt and 3 days later my fish already look so much healthier and their fins are starting to get better :wub: ^_^. He even treated the babies because they were with the moms. They are all super healthy as well. The Dalmatian Molly that was sick had swim bladder disease and she was treated and is back to her normal self...:thanks: everyone for all the help the visit was unexpected but greatly appreciated and my fish were saved :):wub: plus he has taught me a lot so now after 11 months of trying to learn the process I think I have it down packed :rofl::rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back