HELP!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jemmmmmm03

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am changing my 450L (125Gallon) fishtank to a cichlid tank. I currently have 3 Kribensis (a pair and a female), a juvi blue dolphin, jewel, 2 silver sharks and a green terror (however i think i will be getting rid of him today because others have said they are really aggressive). So I am thinking of adding a firemouth and an electric yellow Lab. I was wondering everyones thoughts on this and any other fish that would go well in this tank.
15864067641224639471457246071991.jpg

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------------
Kribensis should only be kept in pairs (1 male & 1 female).

Jewel cichlids are aggressive and will kill the Kribensis. Green terrors are aggressive too.

-------------------
Kribensis, jewel cichlids, green terrors, firemouth cichlid and silver sharks all come from soft water.

The blue dolphin, and electric yellow cichlids come from hard alkaline water.

You need to find out the GH of your water and then decide on if you want soft or hard water fishes.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------------
Kribensis should only be kept in pairs (1 male & 1 female).

Jewel cichlids are aggressive and will kill the Kribensis. Green terrors are aggressive too.

-------------------
Kribensis, jewel cichlids, green terrors, firemouth cichlid and silver sharks all come from soft water.

The blue dolphin, and electric yellow cichlids come from hard alkaline water.

You need to find out the GH of your water and then decide on if you want soft or hard water fishes.

Thank you! I'll get my water tested today at the pet shop. What happens if you mix hard and soft water fish together? Also what combinations of cichlids work well together? Should i just get rid of the Kribs? Or will they do ok if there is lots of hiding spots for them because the tank is quite large. I also only have one Jewel so it is supposed to limit its aggression.

First things first, you should figure out the GH.

Also, Colin had asked... how long is this tank? It looks 4-5 feet from the picture.

American cichlids and African cichlids should not be mixed. They are not compatible as far as aggression or water parameters go.

To make things simple, some fish are sensitive to certain hardness and will die if not in the right water.

I have lots of experience with American cichlids so I can definitely advise you on stocking if you want to go that route and your water allows you.

American cichlids come from soft water, Africans from hard.

Do not buy any more fish until you have things figured out. Things might seem ok right now, but it can change fast.

First things first, you should figure out the GH.

Also, Colin had asked... how long is this tank? It looks 4-5 feet from the picture.

American cichlids and African cichlids should not be mixed. They are not compatible as far as aggression or water parameters go.

To make things simple, some fish are sensitive to certain hardness and will die if not in the right water.

I have lots of experience with American cichlids so I can definitely advise you on stocking if you want to go that route and your water allows you.

American cichlids come from soft water, Africans from hard.

Do not buy any more fish until you have things figured out. Things might seem ok right now, but it can change fast.
I have soft water, so american cichlids im after. I am taking the GT and Dolphin back to the pet shop today. I need help with which american cichlids can go together. Is getting a firemouth a good idea? I still want the jewels and essentially when the other fish get a bit bigger i will get rid if the Kribs but right now they are the most dominant. Should i keep the green terror or should he go?

If you have soft water, you can either keep American cichlids, or add Rift Lake water conditioner to increase the hardness and then keep African Rift Lake cichlids.

When you go to the pet shop, make a list of fishes you like and post it here. We can go through the list and tell you which are soft vs hard water fish, and you can decide on whether you want American or African cichlids.

You can also look online for Central and South American cichlids, and African rift Lake cichlids.

Don't add or remove any fish just yet. Work out what you want and then go from there.

If you have soft water, you can either keep American cichlids, or add Rift Lake water conditioner to increase the hardness and then keep African Rift Lake cichlids.

When you go to the pet shop, make a list of fishes you like and post it here. We can go through the list and tell you which are soft vs hard water fish, and you can decide on whether you want American or African cichlids.

You can also look online for Central and South American cichlids, and African rift Lake cichlids.

Don't add or remove any fish just yet. Work out what you want and then go from there.
thank you, i want american cichlids because i have soft water. Would the dolphin cichlid be able to live in soft water?
Im thinking of having
-Firemouth
-Jewel
-electric yellow
-blue dolphins
-Silver sharks
And a green terror but they are agressive so I'm not sure how to go about that.

It's up to you if you want to keep the green terror. They do get big and can be aggressive, so tankmates would have to be similar.

Firemouths are less aggressive and a green terror will likely kill it when the green terror gets big.

Jewels are known to be extremely aggressive for their size and would likely kill a firemouth.

Cichlids can be hard to keep since they all have an individual personality on top of their natural tendencies.

Electric yellow and dolphin are African and come from hard water.

thank you, i want american cichlids because i have soft water. Would the dolphin cichlid be able to live in soft water?
Im thinking of having
-Firemouth
-Jewel
-electric yellow
-blue dolphins
-Silver sharks
And a green terror but they are agressive so I'm not sure how to go about that.
I was also thinking maybe
It's up to you if you want to keep the green terror. They do get big and can be aggressive, so tankmates would have to be similar.

Firemouths are less aggressive and a green terror will likely kill it when the green terror gets big.

Jewels are known to be extremely aggressive for their size and would likely kill a firemouth.

Cichlids can be hard to keep since they all have an individual personality on top of their natural tendencies.
Ok thank you. Could you give me a list of possible fish. I only have one Jewel so i think it will be ok. thank you. Ive also heard dolphins will do ok in softer water.

I was also thinking maybe

Ok thank you. Could you give me a list of possible fish. I only have one Jewel so i think it will be ok. thank you. Ive also heard dolphins will do ok in softer water.
Would this combination be ok:
-Green texis
-jewel (only 1)
-fire mouth
-

Silver sharks need to be kept in groups of 6 or more if possible.

One jewel cichlid will cause problems to other fish in the tank. They really aren't a peaceful fish.

Texas cichlids can get agro too and can grow to 8-10 inches long.

--------------
A severum, firemouth, some silver sharks and maybe a few other peaceful cichlids would be ok in a big tank but I don't know how big your tank is.

Festivum, keyhole, Cichlasoma spilurum & sajica, and blue acara are all reasonably peaceful cichlids that can go together with the severums, firemouth and silver sharks, if there is space.

Your pH is fine and nothing to worry about.

Silver sharks need to be kept in groups of 6 or more if possible.

One jewel cichlid will cause problems to other fish in the tank. They really aren't a peaceful fish.

Texas cichlids can get agro too and can grow to 8-10 inches long.

--------------
A severum, firemouth, some silver sharks and maybe a few other peaceful cichlids would be ok in a big tank but I don't know how big your tank is.

Festivum, keyhole, Cichlasoma spilurum & sajica, and blue acara are all reasonably peaceful cichlids that can go together with the severums, firemouth and silver sharks, if there is space.

Your pH is fine and nothing to worry about.
Thank you! My tank is 450L...not sure the measurements tho. 5ft by 2ft by 2ft I think.
I cant do 6 silver sharks. The two i have now are quite large and happy together, i think one is .inches and the other is 4-5. They swim around the tank and are only interested in each other.

Im thinking:
1 blue scars
1 fire mouth (I hear 2 males can be good to get because they occupy each other and are interesting to watch)
2 Silver sharks
1 severum
3 Kribs...altho if they get bullied ill take them out.
1 blue dolphin...my ph is ok for him and he seems happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back