Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Malex530

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my blue rams have literaly just finished spawning. They both stayed together for a little but the male chased her away. Every time she tries to go close to them the male chases her away all the way around the tank and leaves the eggs for like a few minutes. He still goes to them but if anyghing happens.....I have my turkey baster and 10 gal. Anybody know what's going on? Excuse the type o's I'm on my phone.

usually both parents will take care of the eggs. have the spawned before or is this the first time. if it is their first time then it is normal because they don't know what they are doing.
is the male going after the eggs? if so remove him and allow the female to care for them. 
trap the male in a net, and allow the female, if she is caring for the eggs allow her to care for them, and put the male (remove water from tank, water change) and put in in another container. unless female does not care for them do for female.
the one who is taking care of the eggs will be fine, just remove the other one.

or 

you can remove the eggs, place in another container to allow for circulation.. and then you care for the eggs yourself.. the rams will deal with themselves, just watch so they don't hurt themselves.

BerryAttack said:
usually both parents will take care of the eggs. have the spawned before or is this the first time. if it is their first time then it is normal because they don't know what they are doing.
is the male going after the eggs? if so remove him and allow the female to care for them. 
trap the male in a net, and allow the female, if she is caring for the eggs allow her to care for them, and put the male (remove water from tank, water change) and put in in another container. unless female does not care for them do for female.
the one who is taking care of the eggs will be fine, just remove the other one.

or 

you can remove the eggs, place in another container to allow for circulation.. and then you care for the eggs yourself.. the rams will deal with themselves, just watch so they don't hurt themselves.

Yes its their first time. They are about 4 months old. My plan is to remove them as soon as they are wigglers.

yes so follow what you are doing, because it is their first time i would allow them to sort it out, because next time they spawn they might do it again. but if they are attacking themselves to the point where they are causing damage or damaging the eggs then remove the eggs and care for them yourself.

BerryAttack said:
yes so follow what you are doing, because it is their first time i would allow them to sort it out, because next time they spawn they might do it again. but if they are attacking themselves to the point where they are causing damage or damaging the eggs then remove the eggs and care for them yourself.
Well.........Their tankmates ate the eggs. The male is following the female again and I'm hoping they spawn again....this time TOGETHER!

well at least your worries are over now, until the next batch! but if you are really wanting to raise the fry you'll need to, once the eggs are laid and fertilized, to remove them and put them into another already cycled tank.. and let nature take its course.. along with your help of course 

BerryAttack said:
well at least your worries are over now, until the next batch! but if you are really wanting to raise the fry you'll need to, once the eggs are laid and fertilized, to remove them and put them into another already cycled tank.. and let nature take its course.. along with your help of course 

My pair does not seem so interested in each other anymore. I caught my male trying to show off to the female during a "storm" (gotta love those LED's!). Made me excited though!

I'd just like to say, I disagree with BerryAttack, in this case.

Most cichlids will get the hang of raising fry eventually, if they're left to get on with it.

There is evidence that fish have to be parented to know how to be parents themselves, so it's not a good idea to take the eggs and artifically rear them, unless you've got very rare fish.

Every time someone does that, they're producing fish that are even less able to take care of their own spawns in the future.

It would be a tragedy if we bred fish that completely lost their natural parental instincts, which is a very real risk if we insist on trying to raise every brood.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back