Help with tetra!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jnolasco808

Reaction score
I noticed that one of my black skirt tetras has a cut on his side. Everyone else is fine. He’s swimming and eating perfectly fine. What could it be? Maybe from the aquarium decor?

Attachments

• 2A74F567-3A2D-4651-B74A-57E2925C9A71.jpeg
    2A74F567-3A2D-4651-B74A-57E2925C9A71.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 40
Are they fighting or is there any sharp object in the tank?
The wound looks quite deep which may cause bacteria infection.

Probably you can add some salt though I'm not sure how much it can help.
Add about 1 tablespoon of salt for every 20 liters of water.

I think it may be some rock I have in the aquarium. Should I put him in my quarantine talk until he gets better?

I think it may be some rock I have in the aquarium. Should I put him in my quarantine talk until he gets better?
Yes, if you can out it in a quarantine will be better.
I think you have to use either salt or antibiotic to treat the wound.

What size tank is the fish in? How long has it been set up?

What other fish are in the tank? How many?

Sick and injured fish often quickly become the target for bullies. You should remove him from the main tank. I would do 1 tsp per 5 liters. 1 tsp per 20 liters isn't really any salt and probably won't help much. It is likely from something in the tank. A rock, decoration etc.

Sick and injured fish often quickly become the target for bullies. You should remove him from the main tank. I would do 1 tsp per 5 liters. 1 tsp per 20 liters isn't really any salt and probably won't help much. It is likely from something in the tank. A rock, decoration etc.
And, BS tetras are notorious fin nippers, and can be quite aggressive, especially if kept in inadequate numbers, or with other fish that aren't compatible...aggression can lead to injury

And, BS tetras are notorious fin nippers, and can be quite aggressive, especially if kept in inadequate numbers, or with other fish that aren't compatible...aggression can lead to injury
I like Black Skirt Tetras, and never got any because in the tanks they were kept in... They were often chewed all up due to crowding. Just not pleasant to look at.

I like Black Skirt Tetras, and never got any because in the tanks they were kept in... They were often chewed all up due to crowding. Just not pleasant to look at.
IMO, black phantom tetras are just as nice looking, and not aggressive at all...

Yes, if you can out it in a quarantine will be better.
I think you have to use either salt or antibiotic to treat the wound.
Thank you! I have some melafix that I will treat him with and I took out the rock from the aquarium

What other fish are in the tank? How many

What other fish are in the tank? How many?
Its a 40 gallon tank, I’ve had it for about 6 months fully cycled. Water levels are normal. All fish are tetras. Black tetras- 3 white skirt tetra - 2 red eye tetras -2 cardinal tetras-2 and 3 bumblebee catfish

Thank you! I have some melafix that I will treat him with and I took out the rock from the aquarium
Ouch....ALL skirt tetras, as well as the redeyes, are aggressive and nippy, especially when kept in low numbers.

Those fish need to be in groups of at least 10-12 to spread the aggression, and preferably, in a species-only tank...all tetras should be kept in large groups, being a social fish, as well

I'm betting the BS was injured during a fight, or is being bullied/attacked by the others.

Ouch....ALL skirt tetras, as well as the redeyes, are aggressive and nippy, especially when kept in low numbers.

Those fish need to be in groups of at least 10-12 to spread the aggression, and preferably, in a species-only tank...all tetras should be kept in large groups, being a social fish, as well

I'm betting the BS was injured during a fight, or is being bullied/attacked by the others.
Should I move the red eyes? I have an extra 10 gallon tank that is not being used or should I just add more fish?

Should I move the red eyes? I have an extra 10 gallon tank that is not being used or should I just add more fish?
10G is too small for these fish, I'm afraid.

Adding more at this point may or may not solve the issue....can you rehome the skirts and the redeyes, by any chance?....then you could add to your cardinal shoal, and even add a few more shoals of peaceful tetras, you have plenty of room in a 40

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back