Help with tank airflow

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GazmanClown

Reaction score
Hi, hope I'm ok to link videos here.
I'm looking for some advice regarding my 60l tank and airflow. I currently have running a .80 kw pump, but to me the air flow seems a little low, the fish seem happy enough and I don't seem to have had any issues, but I thought I'd try a slightly more powerful pump.
I tried a 2kw pump, and to me it seems too powerful. The 2 videos show both pumps in action. Just looking for a bit of advice from people who know more.
https://streamable.com/64sjfx https://streamable.com/96sxgq

This is a engineering only answer, I've not tried this in an aquarium:

You could put a T-valve in your air output line and bleed off some of the pressure. This is likely to be noisy, but may not be any worse than the bubbles. Connecting the bleed output to an air stone left outside the tank may quiet it. It would also allow fine control of the flow rate to your stone.

Reduce the length of your uplift tube, while it won't reduce bubbles, the water flow rate should be reduced.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

One is too little air, the other is a bit much for the gourami.

You can reduce the airflow on most air pumps by loosening a small screw on the side of the pump.

You can also buy plastic T-pieces and taps from pet shops and fit these in the airline. Then undo the tap a little bit to reduce the amount of air going into the tank. If you get another piece of airline about 12 inches long, you can put it on the spare bit on the T-piece and it will reduce the noise from the air escaping out of that.

Another option is to remove the airstone while using the smaller pump. The bubbles will be bigger but the pump won't have to work as hard without an airstone.

Or get a multi coloured plastic airstone. These don't require as much air pressure to run and they can also be taken apart, cleaned and re-used.

------------------
And your gourami doesn't look well.
Is it eating properly?
What does its poop look like?

Awesome, thanks. I'll try the screw, and if not I'll sort a T piece.
Regarding my Gourami, he seems fine as far as I'm aware, seems to eat the same every time I feed them, I'll check his poop next time. He spends 90% of the time near the surface away from other fish , but he's been like that since I got him (about 8 months or so ago)
Ok, just fed them whilst looking at the pump, Bob went straight for the food, but probably only ate about 3 or 4 good size flakes, then ignored the rest. That seem normal?

Last edited:
Ok, just fed them whilst looking at the pump, Bob wen straight for the food, but probably only ate about 3 or 4 good size flakes, then ignored the rest. That seem normal?
no idea.
how much does the fish normally eat?
the gourami looks like a female :)

If you had some floating plants it would make the gourami a little more comfortable

I'll keep an eye on her eating habits, seems normal, but can't say I've noticed how much she regularly eats till now, ill invest in some plants, thanks.
Oh dear, seems my daughter might be conflicted, calling a girl Bob :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back