Help With Sump/overflow System!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheBalance

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have really been looking into setting up a sump for my 46 gallon bow front. I have my sump all mapped out and everything and will be shortly getting the supplies. My issue is that I don't know what to get for an overflow system.... There are so many different brands and most are rated for like 150 gallon tanks, isn't that overkill?!? And how big of a return pump will I need? Please help... Thanks!

Hi its depending how u want your flowing rate mate id sey round 600 L.H and how big is the sump?

Hello everyone! I have really been looking into setting up a sump for my 46 gallon bow front. I have my sump all mapped out and everything and will be shortly getting the supplies. My issue is that I don't know what to get for an overflow system.... There are so many different brands and most are rated for like 150 gallon tanks, isn't that overkill?!? And how big of a return pump will I need? Please help... Thanks!
if i was you id go on youtube and look up overflow systems, there are a range of diy overflows you can make yourself! check out this guys channel on youtube. he not only has a million different videos. he almost always answers your questions, if he doesnt, one of his subscribers will,http://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

A DIY Durso-type overflow pipe would be one way to go, doesn't require any drilling & is silent running. Also easy to modify to obtain different flow rates.

IMO drilling the tank is the best solution. I drilled my first tank for my brother over the summer, a 24gal nano cube and it went smooth as I could hope for. There are many tutorials online on how to drill aquariums. You can check out this link for an entire overflow solution box with plumbing and drill bit.

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

IMO drilling the tank is the best solution.

Drilling is certainly the most fool-proof when done successfully, but I just want to add that some aquariums come with great big "do not drill!" stickers on them because they're all tempered glass rather than only on the bottom (bringing this up since it's not clear to me which way the OP's tank would be).

IMO drilling the tank is the best solution.

Drilling is certainly the most fool-proof when done successfully, but I just want to add that some aquariums come with great big "do not drill!" stickers on them because they're all tempered glass rather than only on the bottom (bringing this up since it's not clear to me which way the OP's tank would be).

whoops meant to add that in there, thanks for adding! I think some manufacturers will use that sticker even if just the bottom pane is tempered as well. So best bet would be to call them and ask.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back