Help with stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishtime

Reaction score
So I have had a little tank for around 2 years with 4 fish in and enjoyed it so much , so when we moved I bought a bigger tank 110l and got more fish but I think I may have over done it with the fish thou can u help and see if I have to meany now ??

So here is my list

12 nion tetra
3 danio zebra
3 mountain minow cloud
3 albino Cory
12 guppy's
6 tetra orange not sure on name

All help would be fab and be kind X

First for our American friends: the tank is about 29 gallons
First of danios, mountain could minow (gold or white) and all cories are schooling fish which means that they have to be kept in groups of 6. You could probably get away with 4 or 5 tho.

12 guppies is a lot considering that you will have them reproducing like crazy. You can start off with a trio and provided enough cover (thick plants) you will have a lot more. So in any case I wouldn't get 12 but maybe 6 or less guppies if you want to (ratio 1male:2 females). This way you can get other fish.

Tertas prefer softer water while guppies and other livebearers thrive in harder water. They are hardy and will do just fine in all softer waters, but I wouldn't mix the two.

I would strongly recommend getting live plants, they will filter the water and provide cover.

A bit more about corydoras: People might say that they need sand or a smooth substrate because of their bristles but that is untrue. They do great and thrive in common aquarium gravel as well.

Last edited:
First for our American friends: the tank is about 29 gallons
First of danios, mountain could minow (gold or white) and all cories are schooling fish which means that they have to be kept in groups of 6. You could probably get away with 4 or 5 tho.

12 guppies is a lot considering that you will have them reproducing like crazy. You can start off with a trio and provided enough cover (thick plants) you will have a lot more. So in any case I wouldn't get 12 but maybe 6 or less guppies if you want to (ratio 1male:2 females). This way you can get other fish.

Tertas prefer softer water while guppies and other livebearers thrive in harder water. They are hardy and will do just fine in all softer waters, but I wouldn't mix the two.

I would strongly recommend getting live plants, they will filter the water and provide cover.

A bit more about corydoras: People might say that they need sand or a smooth substrate because of their bristles but that is untrue. They do great and thrive in common aquarium gravel as well.
Hey thanks for the reply really good read

My guppies are all males , well that's what it said lols . And my base is sand so good for the Cory .

However I will endeavour on getting more plants but do you think it's aot of fish for the tank 110l or 29 gallons . ?

My guppies are all males , well that's what it said lols . And my base is sand so good for the Cory .

However I will endeavour on getting more plants but do you think it's aot of fish for the tank 110l or 29 gallons . ?

Attachments

• 1629403569682942917763065139351.jpg
    1629403569682942917763065139351.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 54

Oh ok if the guppies are males you won't get any babies. Honestly I were you I would take 6 or more guppies back and replace them with more members of the schooling fish you have. I would say that its not overstocked but definitely get more plants to keep the nitrates in check.

I suspect that the water in Ipswich is very hard, do you know the GH?
If so, the guppy are suited to your water but the soft water fish (cory, neon, ember tetra-the orange ones) are not.

I agree with nik that it is more important to have appropriate size shoals of the shoaling fish than the overall number of fish in the tank. But in this case (assuming hard water) I would return the soft water fish rather than increase their shoals.

The mountain cloud minow prefer cool waters the neon and cory will want it a bit warmer... Also i would focus on fewer species in general.

I've looked at a random business address in the centre of Ipswich and their water is very hard as Naughts suggested - 440 ppm and 25 dH. No soft water fish will be happy in water this hard, I'm afraid.

This thread contains suggestions for hard water fish, though you would need to check their tank size reuirements as well as hardness.

You may like to consider buffering the water with peat, so that you can keep some of the soft water fish. Otherwise your options are limited.

There’s retirement to Suffolk out of the window. 440PM/25dh !

Hmmmm. (consults his own liquid rock suitable small fish list). SF says:

Forktail Blue Eye 268-536ppm
Endlers 268-617
Guppy 143-536
Glass Bloodfin Tetra 1-537 ?
Platy 179-537
Black Bellied Limia 358-537
These are all under 2” or similar which was what I’d been searching for. Bigger fish are available. There’s a lot of “limias” should be on this list.

Theres a lot more 2” or so fish just make the higher ppm figure: Celebes rainbowfish, neon blue eyes, Celebes Ricefish, Indian ricefish, Javanese ricefish, spike tail Paradisefish, medaka, bloodfin tetra, tiger teddy etc.
There’ll be even more bigger fish such as various types of Livebearers, rice fish, rainbow fish, limias etc. Do Pearl Gourami go that high?

As ever Seriouslyfish.com is your friend.

I suspect that the water in Ipswich is very hard, do you know the GH?
If so, the guppy are suited to your water but the soft water fish (cory, neon, ember tetra-the orange ones) are not.

I agree with nik that it is more important to have appropriate size shoals of the shoaling fish than the overall number of fish in the tank. But in this case (assuming hard water) I would return the soft water fish rather than increase their shoals.
Problem is returning the soft water fish to a LFS means probably returning them to the same water both in the shop and the house they end up in. The % of fish keepers softening water is nowhere near what we’d like to believe.

Ill be starting a thread on that very subject soon as I’ve been offered my pick of about ten species from someone moving house who won’t be taking their fish from a hard to soft water area.….mainly for the hassle reasons tbh. Apologies for thread hijack. Back to the matter at hand.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back