Help with southeast Asian stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to get a GH test next time I go to my LFS. If it does turn out to be hard water. How many of those loaches would you recommend and are there any gobies, catfish or any other bottom dewelers fish from southeast Asian that can live in hard water. Many thanks.
Definitely get the GH test as my tap water is different to the website - my local area on the website is 17 but out of the tap its 13/14 so I'm at the upper end of quite a few common species now that were out of my reach before. At my last house on the other side of the city it was 19 - though I didnt really factor it in for those years and kept a south american tank.

The effect of keeping fish not naturally from hardwater in hardwater tanks is they build up calcium deposits in their body - essentially kidney stones and their lifespan shortens quite significantly. One member here kept a school of neons and typically had them 18-24 months then started using RO water to soften it and they are over 5 years old now, in other fish it can be less so and others even more extreme but its typically a long term consideration. They will also be more prone to stress so disease can really take hold faster and harder than if you had fish matched to your tap water.

I look at it quite balanced, for example if you see 100 neon tetras in a local store and most of your region is hard water the majority of them are going in hard water. So for me if you tick 9/10 boxes other than water hardness in terms of compatibility, tank size, diet, water changes, maintenance etc I'm not going to tell you not to do it because you would a great option for those animals rather than the risk of going into an uncycled tank, no maintenance, small tanks, end up as prey for bigger fish etc.

There are other fish out there, I've been reading up on it a lot and my basic rule of thumb is look for fish from places with mountain fed streams like Vietnam, Laos, Burma/Myanmar and avoid places that have swamps and long winding rivers fed by flood plains, Sumatara, Papua etc. Fish distributed in mountain streams will come into contact regularly with water that has been mineralised by the bed rock - Vietnam and Laos in particular are know for limestone beds, Myanmar is a mix but thats what feeds Lake Inle as an example. Some Stiphodon Gobies are from harder water, some Sicyopterus (spelling) species are from harder water and a few others. Empire Gudgeons could be a good choice, though they span Asia into Australia so not sure if thats out of your scope? I'm not sure where they are from but some Panchax species are harder water like the Golden Wonders and some halfbeaks are too, I think you mentioned them at one point?

Other options from outside South East Asia are things like Rainbowfish, Central American and Rift Lake Cichlids too - though Rift Lakes are not a community set up. Some Synodontis species from Lake Tanganyika too.

Wills

Definitely get the GH test as my tap water is different to the website - my local area on the website is 17 but out of the tap its 13/14 so I'm at the upper end of quite a few common species now that were out of my reach before. At my last house on the other side of the city it was 19 - though I didnt really factor it in for those years and kept a south american tank.

The effect of keeping fish not naturally from hardwater in hardwater tanks is they build up calcium deposits in their body - essentially kidney stones and their lifespan shortens quite significantly. One member here kept a school of neons and typically had them 18-24 months then started using RO water to soften it and they are over 5 years old now, in other fish it can be less so and others even more extreme but its typically a long term consideration. They will also be more prone to stress so disease can really take hold faster and harder than if you had fish matched to your tap water.

I look at it quite balanced, for example if you see 100 neon tetras in a local store and most of your region is hard water the majority of them are going in hard water. So for me if you tick 9/10 boxes other than water hardness in terms of compatibility, tank size, diet, water changes, maintenance etc I'm not going to tell you not to do it because you would a great option for those animals rather than the risk of going into an uncycled tank, no maintenance, small tanks, end up as prey for bigger fish etc.

There are other fish out there, I've been reading up on it a lot and my basic rule of thumb is look for fish from places with mountain fed streams like Vietnam, Laos, Burma/Myanmar and avoid places that have swamps and long winding rivers fed by flood plains, Sumatara, Papua etc. Fish distributed in mountain streams will come into contact regularly with water that has been mineralised by the bed rock - Vietnam and Laos in particular are know for limestone beds, Myanmar is a mix but thats what feeds Lake Inle as an example. Some Stiphodon Gobies are from harder water, some Sicyopterus (spelling) species are from harder water and a few others. Empire Gudgeons could be a good choice, though they span Asia into Australia so not sure if thats out of your scope? I'm not sure where they are from but some Panchax species are harder water like the Golden Wonders and some halfbeaks are too, I think you mentioned them at one point?

Other options from outside South East Asia are things like Rainbowfish, Central American and Rift Lake Cichlids too - though Rift Lakes are not a community set up. Some Synodontis species from Lake Tanganyika too.

Wills
Thanks very much wills. After I get my general hardness test, I'll have a look at all the different options spend weeks looking and plan out what fish to get and fish not to get. Out of the fish mentioned what one would you recommend the most for hard and soft water. Thanks again for the help.

In a 30 gallon harwater tank I'd be looking at Rainbow Fish, probably a school of Kamaka or Kali Tawa, some Synodontis Polli and a school of Emerald Rasboras. Maybe some colourful Platies for a few pops here and there.

Wills

If your water turns out medium or soft, then I recommend full steam ahead with the SE Asia idea. If it turns out on the harder side? A 30g Lake Inle biotope would be extremely nice. There are some fish in that area I've always wanted to keep, but my water is super soft so I can't. Do it! Then I can live vicariously through your tank. :)

In a 30 gallon harwater tank I'd be looking at Rainbow Fish, probably a school of Kamaka or Kali Tawa, some Synodontis Polli and a school of Emerald Rasboras. Maybe some colourful Platies for a few pops here and there.

Wills
In my experience, the vast majority of rainbowfish need a lot of space. I always thought my school of turquoise rainbows were happy in a 55g...until I put some in a 150g and saw how much more active they were. Some of the dwarf species and blue-eyes, perhaps, but I wouldn't keep any of the normal-size species in a 30.

In my experience, the vast majority of rainbowfish need a lot of space. I always thought my school of turquoise rainbows were happy in a 55g...until I put some in a 150g and saw how much more active they were. Some of the dwarf species and blue-eyes, perhaps, but I wouldn't keep any of the normal-size species in a 30.
I agree, big species like Turquoise, Reds, Bosemani all 75 gallon plus but the ones I've mentioned stay 3 inches or under - Yellows maybe 3.5. But Kamaka, Red Lazer and Kali Tawa are all smaller species like Dwarf Neon size.

So I've just come back from a fish store. They had a sale on kuhli loaches. 5 for £10 so I've picked some up and got a free ramshorn snail included . I looked for the GH test and they have none there. Hopefully I'll be able to go to my LFS and pick a test up in a few days. While I was at this store they had a fish called rainbow garra. Anyone heard of it. I know Panda garra were recommended but is this similar. Many thanks for the help.

No idea about rainbow garra. Any chance you could get a Latin name and/or a picture?
I've just done a quick Google and if appears to be another name for Panda garra or Garra flavatra. It did look different to Panda though I suppose it could be the lighting. It's 2 for £20 is that a good price if I was to get some. many thanks whistling badger

I've done the test and it is saying GH of 13 is this good or bad for keeping southeast Asian fish

It's still hard just not as hard as your water company says.

Look up the fish you like on Seriously Fish to see the hardness range they need. 13 dH = 230 ppm (some profiles on there use one unit, some use the other) bearing in mind is is better to keep fish which have your hardness around the middle of their range.

It's still hard just not as hard as your water company says.

Look up the fish you like on Seriously Fish to see the hardness range they need. 13 dH = 230 ppm (some profiles on there use one unit, some use the other) bearing in mind is is better to keep fish which have your hardness around the middle of their range.
Thanks for the help essjay. Would botanicals like catappa leaves lower the GH of the tank. Many thanks again

They can help lower GH if it is lowish to start with but will have little impact on high GH I'm afraid. The only realistic way to lower GH is to mix tap water with a source of pure water such as RO, or distilled or even rainwater if you can guarantee no contaminants (though with the current lack of rain that might not be an option). Half tap, half pure water will drop the GH from 13 to 6.5 dH. Three quarters tap and one quarter pure will give a GH around 9 to 10 dH

They can help lower GH if it is lowish to start with but will have little impact on high GH I'm afraid. The only realistic way to lower GH is to mix tap water with a source of pure water such as RO, or distilled or even rainwater if you can guarantee no contaminants (though with the current lack of rain that might not be an option). Half tap, half pure water will drop the GH from 13 to 6.5 dH. Three quarters tap and one quarter pure will give a GH around 9 to 10 dH
Okay thanks a lot for the help

Hello there. So I've just looked into a aquarium book that I have not looked at for a while and I've come across two barbs. Arulius barb (Puntius arulius) and Odessa barb (Pethia padamya) are these barbs suitable with the fish I currently have and some glass catfish when I get some. I've done a lot of research on lowering the GH and I've come across to different ways. Lowering the PH and using API Water Softener Pillow, do you think any of these would work. Also I will most likely aqua scape the tank in 6 or so months since I'm currently re-scaping my 20 gallon. Many thanks again and I will post pictures of the 20gallon once scaped I'm just trying to get the stem plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back