Help with Snail Eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
A coworker, of mine, has these snail egg sacs overtaking his tank. Besides physically removing them, what are some other ways that will manage the amount and/or get rid of these snail egg sacs?

Thanks!

13419.jpeg

Those are Nerite snail eggs. No way to remove them, unless you physically do so.

If you are lucky, you can get male nerites, but they are extremely rare in my experience.

Those are Nerite snail eggs. No way to remove them, unless you physically do so.

If you are lucky, you can get male nerites, but they are extremely rare in my experience.
what do you mean by "male" nerite, they´re hermafrodites mate, you always get both no matter how many you buy, my chinese algae eater used to eat those eggs, he was biiiigg thats probably why, the only way you can get rid of em is finding something that eats them, or get rid of the nerite and replace it with apple snails or something

what do you mean by "male" nerite, they´re hermafrodites mate, you always get both no matter how many you buy, my chinese algae eater used to eat those eggs, he was biiiigg thats probably why, the only way you can get rid of em is finding something that eats them, or get rid of the nerite and replace it with apple snails or something
No they aren’t. Unlike mystery snails, Nerite snails have two genders, either male or female.

No, they are not hermaphrodites

Thanks for the replies. I looked up Nerite snails and was able to learn a little bit more. Looks like this is a none issue. Eggs won't hatch unless in brackish or saltwater so my coworker shouldn't worry about that in his freshwater tank.

Yes.

Assuming you mean the apple snail type of mystery snail. Click on 'anatomy' in the menu on the left here
(It'll take longer than usual to load as the site no longer exists so we have to use Wayback Machine to see it)

There are other snails referred to as mystery snails which are livebearing snails which also have 2 genders - see viviparidae here

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back