Help with sad goldfish tank upgrades!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xhan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

A bit more context in this thread but its looking like we're going to have to get this fish kitted out a.s.a.p (unless I can find someone experienced to take him on very soon!)

I've re-attached the photos below.

The tank is 100l. The filter in this tank isn't great , spluttering a bit, but as we're hoping to re-home him I don't want to buy and cycle a new filter just yet.

I'm ordering some methylene blue and salt today to treat him for red pest disease.

Is the gravel in the tank suitable for goldfish or will we need to change it?

The lid and light are both broken in the tank, the top of the tank is 91 x 30.5cm. Where can we buy a lid/light that doesn't cost the earth!

Also, I feel like the filter isn't aerating the tank enough should I be looking at getting something to aerate the tank as well?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_7309.jpgIMG_7308.jpg

It's actually not that bad of a tank size for a goldfish. I personally would get him a buddy since they are social fish and plan to upgrade down the line. With plenty of large WCs you shouldn't have that hard of a time keeping the water clean.

You could always buy a new filter and use the old filter media+new so you don't have to re-cycle it. ;) Buy a filter rated for higher then the tank volume and that should provide enough flow/aeration.

I personally would switch the substrate to sand because they like to sift it and it will prevent the fish choking on a pebble.

We were thinking of a buddy for him, want to get him in a happier place first - would we need to get one a similar size? I'd like to rescue one so they can bond over their shared trauma!

Am planning on switching substrate to a thin layer of black sand. Currently treating him with methylene blue though and I didn't want to stress him out doing huge water changes and removing substrate and turning his tank blue all at once!

I've gone down the filter rabbit hole and still have no idea what to get - I'd been thinking about using sponge filters for him but I'd need to cycle those for longer than the current filter has left in it! the tank is 100litres so would one for a 200litre tank be better or is 120-150 range ok? I might try and find a second hand one of any type so I can at least do a water change without worrying the filter won't turn back on!

How on earth do you get lights and a lid for a tank - the lid on there at the moment needs to go its sharp and very broken!

How much aeration does a goldfish tank really need - would I need to get an air pump regardless of filter? (though sponge filter might be ok?)

Try to get goldfish that are similar sized and have the same sort of tail (single short tail) found on common goldfish. If you get fantails or comets, their longer tails slow them down and if they breed, the common goldfish with the shorter tail can harass the slower moving fish. The common goldfish will also be able to get more food than fantails or comets.

I wouldn't other changing the sand unless you want to.

-------------------
Coverglass can be bought from pet shops or glaziers. If you buy it from a glazier, ask them to smooth the edges off so you don't cut yourself. The edges don't need to be bevelled, but they usually have a sanding stone they can go over it with and it shouldn't cost any extra to do.

Coverglass should be made of 4, 5 or 6mm thick glass because it is less likely to chip and crack than thinner 2 or 3mm thick glass.

-------------------
Try to get a slightly bigger filter (150-200 litre) for goldfish if you can.

If there is surface turbulence from the filter, then you don't need aeration. If there is no or only a small amount of surface turbulence, then adding an airstone would help keep the oxygen levels high during warm weather.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back