Help with persistant fin rot!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi! I have a betta that showed signs of fine rot 9 months ago! I spent 6 months trying every remedy I could find on the internet. I finally stopped because I felt all the different treatments would cause more harm than good. So now I'm back top 50% water changes once per week but it's getting worse. I've had him at least 3 years. His color also looks faded now. Could he just be getting old?

5 gallon cycled tank, lives alone
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
Temp: 80
sponge filter
silk plants with moss ball
I don't over feed

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'm assuming you already tried aquarium salt? If not, I would definitely try it. Aquarium salt cured my betta's fin rot in just a few days.

The tails do deteriorate and get more raggedy as they age. A lot of people don’t like stress Coat but I tried everything else. After months of fighting fin rot, my betta’s tails are all looking great thanks to the Stress Guard. All 5 of them!

I'm assuming you already tried aquarium salt? If not, I would definitely try it. Aquarium salt cured my betta's fin rot in just a few days.
Yes. It was the first thing I tried but it didn't seem to help. I'm adding it now when I do water changes and I think it's keeping it from getting worse, but his tail isn't growing back.

The tails do deteriorate and get more raggedy as they age. A lot of people don’t like stress Coat but I tried everything else. After months of fighting fin rot, my betta’s tails are all looking great thanks to the Stress Guard. All 5 of them!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it!

Most reactions

Back