Help with neon tetras!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LUC1FER

Reaction score
I have 12 neon tetras and 4 clown loaches and 3 placo catfish..

a few of the neon tetras have white bits like growths on them.. went to local fish store and they gave me pimafix and melafix which are natural ingredients and have been using them for 2 and half weeks now and it has slowed it down but its slowly getting worse on the fish.

Now because I live in Australia you cant buy proper fish meds antibiotics anywhere. I have ordered seachem meds but they will take two week to get here and hopefully make it through customs.

The loaches and cat fish are fine and are still gaining in size and are happy.

Ive been looking at the salt cure, but I am a bit worried that I will affect the healthy fish for the sake of maybe 5 of the neons.

Is it worth getting a small tank and seperating them and adding salt to the small tank? or do I kill the infected neons (which I really dont want to do) or do I add salt to the full tank?

Never done salt and no idea which to buy and how much to add.

I know the neons are like 2 buks each but Id rather spend some cash and save them.

Please help....

my tank is 190ltr and has 1 fluval G3 filter and one fluval c4 HOB and one cheapo nasty HOB, all filters have had there carbon removed and the ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates <2ppm.

Forgot to add... the neons that have growths around there mouths seem fine and shoal and eat and act normal, they just have withe cotton growths on them. and also there fins are a bit white and torn.

White fluffy stuff can be a bacteria infection or the dreaded NTD

For more information on NTD I suggest you see :

https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/articles/neon-tetra-disease

I'd also like to chip in and say that the tank mates wont work. Simply too overcrowded

Starting with the catfish, Sounds like you got common ones. In a 190l they'll keep growing forever and they get insanely mean, Most likely murdering the other two in some battle royal stuff. I'd suggest removing all three, There are other types of plec out there that are more suited to a 200l tank but these are a no go.

Pleco-3.jpg

I'll say the same with the clown loaches, These things get HUGEEE.... And I mean huge. They just wouldn't work inside the tank give the size they get, I suggest you remove these two and we can talk about stocking for your tank if you want.

But all said and done, I suggest treating the neons as quickly as possible.

Thanks for that, it pretty much looks like they are screwed from reading that article... Ive been using API mela and pimafix for nearly 3 weeks now.

And thanks for the info on the size that they grow and at the moment all fish arent even 3 inches long yet but I will buying a 800 litre tank by the end of the year.

and just remembered they are bristlenose catfish lol, they are only meant to get to 6 inches?

Hi hope you have treated your Neons by now. You should have a quarantine tank then you could have transferred your sick fish for treatment to it, also when you buy new fish put them in it for a month or so, just in case. All the best.

An update.. bought a QT and put them into it and treated, only 5 survived. I did use proper meds that I have now stocked up on from ebay and imported from america and they all got through customs.

An update.. bought a QT and put them into it and treated, only 5 survived. I did use proper meds that I have now stocked up on from ebay and imported from america and they all got through customs.
I'm pleased everything is ok now. What meds did you use?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back