Help with my guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rayneiswet

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a 30cm cube tank with 2 muscles, 20 cherry shrimp 5 dwarf rasboras, 5 neon tetras, 1 female betta and 4 guppys 2 male and 2 female. Recently one of my male guppies has developed a white colouring on his bottom lip but no other signs of anything on his body. He has stopped eating but I still swimming around somewhat relaxed. I've included a bunch of photos of the tank and of him and his lip. I'm very new to fish and would like some guidance on what it could be and how to help him

Attachments

• 20220127_164753.jpg
    20220127_164753.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220127_164022.jpg
    20220127_164022.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220127_164020.jpg
    20220127_164020.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220127_163954.jpg
    20220127_163954.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220127_163937.jpg
    20220127_163937.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220127_163935.jpg
    20220127_163935.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220127_163933.jpg
    20220127_163933.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 55
So far I've isolated him and dosed with melafix and then did a half dose in the main tank to try and prevent any further infection

I could be columnaris.
how long have you had it for?
have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

Put the fish in a separate tank and add a heap of salt. If it spreads then you will need something (anti-biotics) to treat bacteria.

SALT
use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks.

I could be columnaris.
how long have you had it for?
have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

Put the fish in a separate tank and add a heap of salt. If it spreads then you will need something (anti-biotics) to treat bacteria.

SALT
use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks.
I added melafix to the main tank and the isolation tank
And a little bit of salt to the isolation tank

Dont use melafix as a lot of times it can do more bad than good. Just stick with the salt for now. And I'm not going to sugar coat it, your tank is too small... Wayyyyy too small. You said this is a 30cm cube tank, meaning that its 30cm on each side which for the species listed is WAY to small. For everything you have I would say a 30 gallon tank would be minimum. You also shouldnt have the mussels, all the fish you have are tropical fish and mussels NEED cold water. I wanted them as well but they need a minimum of 20 gallons and a temp of 60°F. Part of the reason your fish are sick is most likely due to overstocking.

Is your tank cycled?

Dont use melafix as a lot of times it can do more bad than good. Just stick with the salt for now. And I'm not going to sugar coat it, your tank is too small... Wayyyyy too small. You said this is a 30cm cube tank, meaning that its 30cm on each side which for the species listed is WAY to small. For everything you have I would say a 30 gallon tank would be minimum. You also shouldnt have the mussels, all the fish you have are tropical fish and mussels NEED cold water. I wanted them as well but they need a minimum of 20 gallons and a temp of 60°F. Part of the reason your fish are sick is most likely due to overstocking.

Is your tank cycled?
i just measured the tank its 40 cm not 30 and yes the tank is cycled.
i didnt think the dwarf rasboras need alot of room, as they are no more than 1.5cm each and the same with the tetras. I have just got another 40x20x30cm tank that I can set up today and split the fish between them once it is cycled. would that be enough maybe??

In that small of a tank dont put a betta with them...
i just measured the tank its 40 cm not 30 and yes the tank is cycled.
i didnt think the dwarf rasboras need alot of room, as they are no more than 1.5cm each and the same with the tetras. I have just got another 40x20x30cm tank that I can set up today and split the fish between them once it is cycled. would that be enough maybe??
Its still too small but for a very temporary solution it could work... I wouldnt do it for long... Again, my recommendation is to get a 30 gallon tank for all of them

would the rasboras and tetras and beta be ok in the one tank ?
Rasboras and tetras can be kept together is they are similar sized and peaceful (some tetras are nippy), but I wouldn't keep them with Bettas.

The rasboras might have introduced a disease. Just keep him separate and keep salt and Melafix if you like, in with him and see how he does. Monitor the remaining fish for the same white mouth. Hopefully it's not Columnaris.

Do I only put the salt in once ? The isolation tank is small should I do any water changes ? The other fish all seem fine and have no signs of it but I'm sure it was the columnaris

You add salt to the tank initially, but if you do a water change, you add salt to the new water before adding that water to the tank. This keeps the salinity (salt level) in the tank constant and stable.
eg: if you change 20 litres of water, you treat 20 litres of new water for chlorine/ chloramine and then add enough salt for that 20 litres.

If the quarantine tank doesn't have an established filter, then it's probably a good idea to do a huge (75-80%) water change each day, just to keep ammonia levels down.

Current results of water test in the main tank pH was 6.8 and everything else is in the photo

Attachments

• 20220129_152838.jpg
    20220129_152838.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 34
You add salt to the tank initially, but if you do a water change, you add salt to the new water before adding that water to the tank. This keeps the salinity (salt level) in the tank constant and stable.
eg: if you change 20 litres of water, you treat 20 litres of new water for chlorine/ chloramine and then add enough salt for that 20 litres.

If the quarantine tank doesn't have an established filter, then it's probably a good idea to do a huge (75-80%) water change each day, just to keep ammonia levels down.
I just bought a 80l tank and have set it up and am starting the cycle today , the first guppy died today and I have juts noticed the female guppy has a patch of scaled that are starting to grey so I've removed her and put her into the isolation tank after I cleaned it out. I'm very stressed about the rest of my fish, how can I treat the main tank without things dying on me? I know dwarf rasboras can be a little sensitive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back