Help with my betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ajr0053

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™m sorry if this is disorganized or I posted it in the wrong place, I made this account specifically to ask this question so thank you in advance. Iā€™ve had my betta Biscuit for around three years now and noticed a sudden change in his behavior about two days ago. He sits at the bottom of his tank pretty much all day and breathes quite heavily. He also leans against things as if itā€™s too much effort to hold himself up (I noticed he did this too in his floating betta log; would lean on the side of it instead of sitting up straight like usual). I really canā€™t tell if thereā€™s something wrong with him or if heā€™s just getting old. When heā€™s not lethargic, however, he zips around when he swims and then goes straight back to the bottom. He hasnā€™t done this in a while though.
Heā€™s in a 5 gallon tank and gets 50% water changes once a week. He has a heater (Iā€™m in the process of getting both him and my other betta newer, better ones actually) and his tank is usually around 78 degrees. I use tap water but condition it with prime, and when I tested last it had zero nitrates/nitrites/ammonia. He swims sometimes, but only when I get his attention for food or he goes to the surface for air. I feed him betta pellets (he used to get bloodworms rarely as a snack, but not anymore as he became disinterested with them so I doubt theyā€™re the cause of anything). I really love this little dude, and am willing to try just about anything to help him. Thank you in advance!

I did a pretty big water change today and cleaned pretty much every piece of decoration in his aquarium with him and he seems to be better (swimming more, etc) but he still lists to the side when he rests and Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s just him being old or if itā€™s something Iā€™ve caused

Attachments

• 3D89F531-38DD-42BF-B188-2E6EF68D5C9F.jpeg
    3D89F531-38DD-42BF-B188-2E6EF68D5C9F.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 131
Is it possible to get a pic?
I think I replied to you but Iā€™m not quite sure, I still havenā€™t figured out the basics of this site yet. If I didnā€™t reply directly to you itā€™s in my thread hopefully. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

Gosh, I canā€™t see anything. Iā€™d do a 50-70% water change daily for the next week. You can add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt initially. Then, with each 50% water change add back 1/2 tablespoon of the aquarium salt. Aquarium salt helps improve gill function and reduces stress. Letā€™s see if that helps. I would also recommend getting some Indian Almond leaves. They have an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effect and make the bettas feel more like theyā€™re in their natural habitat. Three years old is aging for a captive betta but many live a lot longer. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Gosh, I canā€™t see anything. Iā€™d do a 50-70% water change daily for the next week. You can add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt initially. Then, with each 50% water change add back 1/2 tablespoon of the aquarium salt. Aquarium salt helps improve gill function and reduces stress. Letā€™s see if that helps. I would also recommend getting some Indian Almond leaves. They have an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effect and make the bettas feel more like theyā€™re in their natural habitat. Three years old is aging for a captive betta but many live a lot longer. Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Thank you for the advice! Iā€™ll definitely try these things

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back