Help With My Aquascaping

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mattharris85

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and fairly new to fish keeping I'm looking at aquascaping my aquarium with live plants being attached to driftwood and as I'm not at all artistic or creative I'd like to no the best ways to create a planted tank with driftwood I have normal aquarium sand so my plants will be all attached to the wood my tank is 70 litre rectangled I'd also like to no the best shaped driftwood I.e more branching styled or more of a block many thanks peeps

I recommend looking through the planted tank journals and picking out a few you like the look of 
good.gif

Thanks just wondering also if any plants can be planted into normal aquarium sand as that's all I have ?

They certainly can be planted in sand :) For attaching plants to wood you may want to look at anubias and java ferns.

Mattharris85 said:
Hey guys I'm new here and fairly new to fish keeping I'm looking at aquascaping my aquarium with live plants being attached to driftwood and as I'm not at all artistic or creative I'd like to no the best ways to create a planted tank with driftwood I have normal aquarium sand so my plants will be all attached to the wood my tank is 70 litre rectangled I'd also like to no the best shaped driftwood I.e more branching styled or more of a block many thanks peeps

I believe you can achieve great aquascapes with any shape of wood.  I use thick branches of mopani in my 120L, covered in thick moss with java fern and anubias around the bases.  For my latest aquascapes I chose thin, twisty branches of redmoor root with anubias petite attached to the thin branches.  I like both styles of scaping with wood, but I think moss looks better on the thicker branches :)

Hey daizeUK, did you happen to get your redmoor online? I've been trying to find some, but aren't having much luck. I've found some but nothing worth buying. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot you've all been a great help I'll be sure to upload pics when I'm finished

McCool said:
Hey daizeUK, did you happen to get your redmoor online? I've been trying to find some, but aren't having much luck. I've found some but nothing worth buying. Any suggestions?

No I'm lucky enough to have an LFS that stocks it.  Like AlmostAwesome said, ebay and AquaEssentials are good sources and also check out The Green Machine.

I'll be sure to go and look there! Thank you, Alm0stAwesom and Daize! :)

Aww you're in the US - sorry I didn't notice :/
AquaEssentials and Green Machine are UK based shops so that probably won't help you!

If you're in the States you may want to try for manzanita wood instead of of redmoor it has a similar shape but is lighter in colour

Yeah, I've heard that red moor is harder to find over here, but I was really hoping for the bit darker stuff! Oh well, think I'll just go with manzanita. It'll be covered in plants for the most part anyways! Thanks guys.

This is how I'm getting on but it's so cloudy and has been since I upgraded my tank 10 days ago any ideas how to cure it I've been doing 20% water chsnges

Your photo didn't work - try using a photo hosting site like photobucket or flikr and use the IMG code to post the picture here. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back