Help with mutiple tank questions...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If your "GH 8" is in German degrees hardness the water is neither hard nor soft, it equates to 143ppm. This is suitable for your fish
without RO.
As gourami are larger, and need a gentle flow, and danio are very active so need a bigger tank, I agree with your selection for rehoming.

If your "GH 8" is in German degrees hardness the water is neither hard nor soft, it equates to 143ppm.
To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what that means, this was the first time I've used the API GH & KH test kit...

But if I understand correctly GH is "General Hardness" and KH is "Carbonate Hardness"...and as far as what I can find on the interwebs, these are hard water numbers.

Basically it took 8 drops of solution for the GH tube to turn colors, and 9 drops for the KH...I really wish that API had included a more helpful info packet with this test kit...Their Master kit is super easy to use and understand, this kit not so much.

That’s a huge difference between your water providers website hardness figures and your test results!
My general hardness is 340ppm which equates to 19 degrees of hardness. Providers website says it 18 degrees which is close enough.
Bizarre

That’s a huge difference between your water providers website hardness figures and your test results!...Bizarre...
Right?!?!

I have to assume the test kit results are correct, and even though I'm certainly a hobbyist amateur when it comes to tanks, I know I did the testing correctly, so I'm not sure what to make of it all.

One thing I'm assuming is:

Madison WI has a population of just over 260K, and as such we have multiple wells/pumping stations for the water utility, so which source was tested? are the numbers they provided on the webpage an average across all the wells/stations? Could the station providing my service have lower numbers than the one across town, but the city erred on the side of caution and posted the highest levels tested?

I don't know, but I do think I need to soften the water a bit, and the RO from my local store is only .79/gallon so it isn't really an expensive proposition to make the fish happier. Though I'm not sure what the impact is on the plants, will they be happier in softer water? or were they enjoying the harder water...time will tell I suppose.

Right?!?!

I have to assume the test kit results are correct, and even though I'm certainly a hobbyist amateur when it comes to tanks, I know I did the testing correctly, so I'm not sure what to make of it all.

One thing I'm assuming is:

Madison WI has a population of just over 260K, and as such we have multiple wells/pumping stations for the water utility, so which source was tested? are the numbers they provided on the webpage an average across all the wells/stations? Could the station providing my service have lower numbers than the one across town, but the city erred on the side of caution and posted the highest levels tested?

I don't know, but I do think I need to soften the water a bit, and the RO from my local store is only .79/gallon so it isn't really an expensive proposition to make the fish happier. Though I'm not sure what the impact is on the plants, will they be happier in softer water? or were they enjoying the harder water...time will tell I suppose.
I wish my tested water was as different from my websites as yours is. It opens up a lot more fish choices when stocking. Best of luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back