Help with larger tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hardness in words means different things to different people, which is why we always say to ignore the words and look for a number. In fish keeping terms, 8 dH is at the higher end of soft water, bordering on middling. Use Seriously Fish to find out the hardness numbers needed by fish you are considering and ignore the words.
Ok thank you. I seriously cant believe people aren't told this stuff before buying fish from the LFS.

Ok so I've had a look at the website but I dont seem to be able to use it very well.

Does anyone have any suggestions off the top of their heads that would suit my water conditions. I plan on adding more danios once in the bigger tank. I think I would like another group of schooling fish and maybe 1 or a pair of centrepiece fish. My tank is currently between 21 and 22 degrees c as I believe the danios prefer it not too warm but I could also be wrong about this too.

I'm unsure of what I can do with the platys now since they prefer hard water?

On those terms (post #14)...We come across this frequently. The water "industry" has somewhat different standards or at least terms than we in the hobby use. Terms as essjay said are subjective at best and depend upon the understanding that the user puts on the terms.

I wrote an article on water hardness a decade or so ago for another site and included a table that I have always used and found to be beneficial. I'm not sure where I found this, but here it is.

0 - 4 dGH or 0 - 70 ppm-- very soft
4 - 8 dGH or 70 - 140 ppm --soft
8 - 12 dGH or 140 - 210 ppm --medium hard
12 - 18 dGH or 210 - 320 ppm --fairly hard
18 - 30 dGH or 320 - 530 ppm --hard
over 30 dGH and over 530 ppm --very hard

Ok so I've had a look at the website but I dont seem to be able to use it very well.

Does anyone have any suggestions off the top of their heads that would suit my water conditions. I plan on adding more danios once in the bigger tank. I think I would like another group of schooling fish and maybe 1 or a pair of centrepiece fish. My tank is currently between 21 and 22 degrees c as I believe the danios prefer it not too warm but I could also be wrong about this too.

Seriously Fish is the best site of the kind we have, but searching is not a strong point with the way it is set up. If you know a species, you can find reliable data on that species.

To your 110 liter (29 gallon) tank...what are the dimensions? This matters as much or even more than the volume as it impacts fish movement (active fish need longer tanks than more sedate fish).

The danios, three you have (maybe the fourth if it turns up)...what species? Danios in general are active swimmers, and this impacts other fish that can be combined with them. Would you want to get more of these (depending upon the species, a 29g may or may not work) or would you consider re-homing them if you decide on other quieter fish?

The platies I would return to the store, or give to another aquarist, unless you want to stay with livebearers and provide harder water for the new tank. This can be done, but it is a long-term commitment and has issues along the way. It is certainly simpler selecting fish species that will be "at home" in your source water; it makes water changes much easier and quicker, compared to having to prepare water each time in separate containers.

I have 8dGH. The lower temperature and active danios make it tricky to think of a centre piece fish. For a schoal consider barbs (rosy, golden, dwarf gold), xray tetra or praecox rainbows.

On seriouslyfish you need to have a fish in mind to do a search, then read up on it's requirements.

Ideally I would like to keep the danios and add more. I have 2 zebra and 1 spotted one at the min. Maybe I will just have to stick to other, more active schooling fish and forget the centrepiece. Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Ideally I would like to keep the danios and add more. I have 2 zebra and 1 spotted one at the min. Maybe I will just have to stick to other, more active schooling fish and forget the centrepiece. Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Are the tank dimensions the basic for a 29g, namely length 30 inches (75 cm) and width 12 inches (30 cm)?

Yes I believe so

OK. If you like the danios you can get more. Both fish mentioned are actually the same species, Brachydanio rerio. The spotted form, sometimes called the leopard danio, sometimes seen under the name Danio frankei, is probably a man-made colour morph variation; most authorities agree that this variant has not been found in nature. So a group of both of these counts as "one." A group of 7-8 in total would be good here.

That means you need to find fish not bothered by such activity around them non-stop. Other danios, smaller barbs, and there are a few tetras that fit this need. Naughts mentioned some fish to cvonsider, though the praecox rainbowfish would not work here due to tank size limitations. And we assume the platies will be removed as they are not going to do well long-term.

Yes I plan to do that so thank you. Now onto my next problem, probably 1 of many. I have been to collect the new tank tonight and didn't realise how totally it would be. I'm just used to an internal filter which you stick inside the aquarium.

Can someone tell me if this is the filter and what kind it is etc. I obviously didn't ask many questions when buying.

Thanks
20200214_181728.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back