Help with krib fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JiminyCricket

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just joined and need some advice with my krib fry.

I found a load yesterday morning, parents were bullying the other fish so made up a seperate tank and transferred them all over. The male died over night :( im assuming stress!?

The fry are doing really well but have been swimming right at the top of the tank all evening, is this Ok? I've been feeding them small amounts 3x a day
The mum seems really unhappy, pretty much just sat in a bottom corner!

I feel like I've done something wrong but not sure what!

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like you poisoned them with something in the new tank.

Did you use water from the main tank to set up the new tank for them?
Does the new tank have a filter and heater?
Did you use a fish only bucket to transfer the fish into the new tank, and to fill the new tank?
Did you chase the parents and fry around a bit before getting them out?
Did you lift the fry out in a net or container of water?

The parents and fry should hang around the bottom and not be under the surface. The fact the male died shortly after being moved into the new tank and the fry sitting under the surface is a worry.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, pH and temperature.

All cichlids defend a territory and chase other fishes out of it when breeding. Kribensis don't normally kill other fishes and you would have been better off leaving them in the main tank. The aggression settles down after a few weeks when the fry start to swim off on their own.

Thanks for your reply!

I know, I should have left them but the other fish we pinned to a corner of tank. I realise I should have left them but although I've always had fish, I've never had krib (my husband chose them and never said how easily they breed!)

Water is heated with a filter, all the tests came back fine. The water from the tank was used for the new set up and buckets ect are all kept fish only!

Didn't have to chase any of them. They came out really easily and used a container to collect the fry.

I've come down this morning and they're all just free swimming. Not sure how old they are. I saw them Tuesday morning but they could of hatched and been hidden in their cave for a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back