Help with high water hardness

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Andy1966uk

Reaction score
My tank parameters are:
PH= 7.6 , NO3 =30, NO2= 0, Ammonia = 0, Total Hardness dH= 12, Carbonate Hardness dH=16

Should I be concerned about my water hardness as I will be adding Discus to my tank, which currently has Cardinal Tetras in.
PH varies from 7.6 to 7.8, but seems to be stable. I have a 330ltr tank been running for 6 weeks and bedding in prior to adding 6-8 discuss at some point..

Yes, that is a big concern as they need softer water. You could mix with osmosis water to soften it but it's easier to match the fish to your water, especially if you are new to fishkeeping?

Soft (< 2 dGH), acidic (pH 4.2-6.2) water, temperature 26-30C/79-86F. Hardness and pH ranges are for wild-caught fish; tank-raised fish bred locally will likely be somewhat adapted to local water parameters according to breeders, though not everyone concurs. The species Symphysodon discus is more demanding than S. aequifasciatus with respect to water conditions.

Nitrate however is a real issue here, as 30 ppm is much too high for discus or any other cichlid, and most other fish for that matter. Is this just due to cycling?

Soft (< 2 dGH), acidic (pH 4.2-6.2) water, temperature 26-30C/79-86F. Hardness and pH ranges are for wild-caught fish; tank-raised fish bred locally will likely be somewhat adapted to local water parameters according to breeders, though not everyone concurs. The species Symphysodon discus is more demanding than S. aequifasciatus with respect to water conditions.

Nitrate however is a real issue here, as 30 ppm is much too high for discus or any other cichlid, and most other fish for that matter. Is this just due to cycling?
comes out of the Tap in Wiltshire at NO3 at least 20ppm. I filter it through a HMA unit as well... I do have an RO unit but for a 330ltr tank and the regular water changes needed for Discus, I was hoping I could just use the HMA. I plan to use Stendker German Discus..

comes out of the Tap in Wiltshire at NO3 at least 20ppm. I filter it through a HMA unit as well... I do have an RO unit but for a 330ltr tank and the regular water changes needed for Discus, I was hoping I could just use the HMA. I plan to use Stendker German Discus..

HMA I know very little about, but my understanding is that it removes heavy metals and minerals, but not nitrate. Reducing the nitrate in the source water is obviously advisable here; I know @AbbeysDad has successfully dealt with this problem (high nitrate in source water) and he can explain it better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back