The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

james_fish

Chuck, Leader Of Ze People.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Firstly Iā€™ll introduce my tank so you get the general overview -
Its a 50 gallon thatā€™s been running around 3 months (its had fish in for about 4 weeks)
The tank was fully fishless cycled prior to adding fish
Temperature is set to 25c and pH is 6.6 mostly
Fish stock as follows;
10 x Hemmigrammus Bleheri
6 x Hyphessobrycon SP ā€˜orange boliviaā€™

Plant stock;
Staurogyne repens
Pistia stratioes

I am dosing liquid carbon and ferts daily. And trace elements twice weekly. I have a fluval fresh and plant 2.0 set at a medium light for 6 hours a day.

My question -
What is this growth I am getting on wood (pics below). I have scraped it off numerous time but it grows back fairly quick? What could be causing, how can I prevent it and does it pose any threat to my fish stock

Thanks in advance

James.

a7767d9cf318b39d087a84caf87b6d53.jpg

a1fa3c7c2a830a38fe4cf61178f69936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its normal with all new driftwood. I get it on my manzanita wood when I first put it in the tank. It is harmless and will likely be completely gone in a few weeks.

Thanks all - itā€™s looks like a hairy soft type of algae, grey in colour with a hint of brown

Is it a form of algae or something else?

I've seen it a bit before but the fish usually just eat it, someone once said its just the last remnants of sap from the wood but I dont know how reliable that is.

Also just wanted to say hello :) nice to see an other old face on the forum again! A few 'oldies' have been popping up again lately.

Wills

I've seen it a bit before but the fish usually just eat it, someone once said its just the last remnants of sap from the wood but I dont know how reliable that is.

Also just wanted to say hello [emoji4] nice to see an other old face on the forum again! A few 'oldies' have been popping up again lately.

Wills

Thanks Wills, good to see youā€™re still on the forum and thanks for the reply.

I imagine something like a True SAE would get rid of it but doesnā€™t exactly go with my South American fish! And Iā€™ve read online these fish are notorious for jumping, so no good for my open top tank.
Iā€™ll give it a couple of weeks to see if it clears if not Iā€™ll think about adding some Otocinculus or something maybe.

I canā€™t help but think whatever it is, itā€™s making the most of the ferts and carbon. So Iā€™m going to introduce some Cabomba which we all know is rapid growing in the conditions, hopefully that will take up the nutrients in the water and starve the growth (although what Iā€™ve just said could be complete nonsense! [emoji23])

Regards
James.

Im only recently back as well :)

The ottos could be good but what about whiptail catfish? Not sure of the size of this tank but something like the LDA 010 Red Lizards could work without damaging your plants. Or, though it does break your biotope what about some nerite snails? I have some in mine and they do an amazing job!

Wills

They would break the theme but they can always be removed if they do a job for me. Thanks for the advice Wills

Regards
James.

It is fungal growth, pretty harmless just doesn't look very nice, ive known otos, nerite snails, tiger barbs and shrimp to feed on it, you can also remove it manually with a toothbrush and then do a large water change.

Hello everyone.

Firstly Iā€™ll introduce my tank so you get the general overview -
Its a 50 gallon thatā€™s been running around 3 months (its had fish in for about 4 weeks)
The tank was fully fishless cycled prior to adding fish
Temperature is set to 25c and pH is 6.6 mostly
Fish stock as follows;
10 x Hemmigrammus Bleheri
6 x Hyphessobrycon SP ā€˜orange boliviaā€™

Plant stock;
Staurogyne repens
Pistia stratioes

I am dosing liquid carbon and ferts daily. And trace elements twice weekly. I have a fluval fresh and plant 2.0 set at a medium light for 6 hours a day.

My question -
What is this growth I am getting on wood (pics below). I have scraped it off numerous time but it grows back fairly quick? What could be causing, how can I prevent it and does it pose any threat to my fish stock

Thanks in advance

James.

a7767d9cf318b39d087a84caf87b6d53.jpg

a1fa3c7c2a830a38fe4cf61178f69936.jpg

That might be fungus/mold. I had some growing on my wood in my shrimp tank. I picked at some and left some alone. It has since disappeared and donā€™t see it anywhere.

Out of sight out of mind [emoji3]

That might be fungus/mold. I had some growing on my wood in my shrimp tank. I picked at some and left some alone. It has since disappeared and donā€™t see it anywhere.

Out of sight out of mind [emoji3]

Itā€™s all pretty much gone now!
Time was the killer

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back