Help With Green Spotted Puffer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IanThePufferfish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am starting a Brackish aquarium, and I need to know how to set it up correctly.
Can someone tell me, step-by-step, how to set it up, what I need to buy and how to fishless cycle the tank?
Also, are there any smaller fish that get along with the GSP? 

The GSP is a aggressive fish from what ive heard, better to keep it with fish that are aggressive as well as to not have the puffer eat them or chew on their fins.

Also for the GSP, avoid fish with long fins ( like a betta ) as the puffer can easily tear these off and injure your other fish to a point of death

Hi.just let us know what size tank you have?

Tetraodon nigroviridis - Green Spotted Puffer

Not exactly a small puffer to keep, grows to 6.8 inches / 17cm and minimum tank 30 gals US / 110 litres according to Seriously Fish website.

So thats the first thing you need, a minimum of 30 gals, though a bigger tank is always better.

You do not mention what your water parameters are in terms of general hardness / softeness, as well as pH. This is important information as you may have water that may be unsuitable for GSP. You can find this information from your local water supplier website, should be pages of various information and stats, what you want to look for is the part with water hardness information and post the numbers on here, we will then advise further.

As for other species to keep with this GSP, that SF link says -

"Can be kept in a community tank, but caution should be exercised when choosing tankmates, as it tends to nip the fins of slow-moving or long-finned fish. Some individuals also become particularly spiteful with age. It’s best kept with robust, active species such as scats, archerfish, Arius catfish and perhaps monos."

These puffer scan be kept in freshwater, but they tend to live longer and only spawn in brackish. For a tank of 30 gals you would be advised that it's best only to keep one GSP but in a much larger tank you may get a group but they are aggressive towards own species, not the best idea if you are not that experienced a fishkeeper and may not know what to look out for.

Having said all that I think it makes more sense to stay with freshwater, as brackish requires salinity knowledge and would be a steep learning curve. I have not done any brackish tanks but would consider for the new fishkeeper this is as a bit of a leap as is not as straightfowards as freshwater or full marine set ups.

As for fishless cycling the tank, this article will help a great deal - Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

For cycling puposes, you will need -

1 - A water test kit to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (as well for pH). API Freshwater Master Kit is a popular choice and is adequate for this process. i would advise not to get these strip paper dip kits, not reliable and can be found to be inaccurate.

2 - You will need a bottle of ammonia, these can be fairly easily obtained online, either as ammonia purely for fishless cycling or you can get a bottle of Kleen Off is a popular choice and can be found in certain hardware stores in USA. Think ACE ammonia is another choice found in ACE hardware store if theres one nearby to you. What you want is basically just ammonia and water, ammonium hydroxide and no other chemical ingredients at all.

3 - Follow that article i linked, and the last requirement is - patience, lots of it!

Set up the tank as you want it, substrate, plants, decor, heater, filter, lights and all the rest of it, once satisfied, start your fishless cycle as its easier to leave the tank alone while the tank and filter goes through the process of cycling.

Hello, There! Thanks for responding so quickly.
I live in North Dakota and the water pH is alkaline (8.92).
I am going out to buy a 55 Gallon Aquarium and yes, I knew it grew larger :)
Thanks for the article on Cycling. Another thing I am wondering,
When I change the water, do I put salt water back in with the same salinity as the rest of the tank? And I am aware of how to mix the salt and water :)

Yes you match salinity.when you are topping off evaporated water this must not contain salt.
Look fwd to seeing the puffer.

gmc1 said:
Yes you match salinity.when you are topping off evaporated water this must not contain salt.
Look fwd to seeing the puffer.

I can't thank you enough! I asked on 4 different forums and no one told me! 
:)
Thanks so much

No problem.once you do your first tests and water changes you will be fine.I suggest getting a refractometer rather than a hydrometer to measure your salinity.there's quite a big difference in the accuracy of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back