Help with gender identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Chapman

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™ve just got these 2 fish could anyone help me to identify the species and what genders they are.
Many thanks
714730AD-2A37-490F-BD06-68D306A43BAD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E5156DD-DD3A-44AC-881B-E8CDA92DB8AD.jpeg
    8E5156DD-DD3A-44AC-881B-E8CDA92DB8AD.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Some type of mollie you are correct maybe a high fin. And from what I can see top one is a male and bottom one is a female

Hi thanks for the reply, Iā€™m new to keeping fish and not sure whether to get rid of one of the fish and keep all of the same gender as I donā€™t want to be dealing with a pregnant fish, do you think it will be fine or best to get all the same gender

If they are a male and a female they will defiantly breed so if you don't want a pregnant fish then i don't think you will be fine. You could remove one and keep only one gender though it can be quite hard to sex young fish depending on how old the fish at your shop are.
Is there a reason you dont want pregnant fish.

Both are males. The bodyshape already tells this. And both have a large dorsal. They're both sailfins. Pic#1 shows a marble molly and Pic#2 shows a dalmation molly.

And welcome to TFF!

Both are males. The bodyshape already tells this. And both have a large dorsal. They're both sailfins. Pic#1 shows a marble molly and Pic#2 shows a dalmation molly.

And welcome to TFF!
Hi, sorry for the late reply, thank you for the information,
My mollies seem to have settled into their tanks now as theyā€™re more lively and not hiding, however I have noticed over the last couple of days the marble molly is very protective over the food I feed them, whenever there is food he seems to chase away the Dalmatian molly and it seems to not be eating as much. Iā€™ve just bought some bloodworms and the marble molly is going crazy and very protective with constant chasing, should I be worried?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Hi, sorry for the late reply, thank you for the information,
My mollies seem to have settled into their tanks now as theyā€™re more lively and not hiding, however I have noticed over the last couple of days the marble molly is very protective over the food I feed them, whenever there is food he seems to chase away the Dalmatian molly and it seems to not be eating as much. Iā€™ve just bought some bloodworms and the marble molly is going crazy and very protective with constant chasing, should I be worried?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Well, it could be a dominance thing that's happening. In most cases, this behavior will pass. But if it remains, get one of them out. I would try to feed the dalmation seperately for now.

Most reactions

trending

Back