Help with Fin Rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pebbles28

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have my betta in a 5 gallon tank and I've had him a while but now he has fin rot. I was having trouble with the filter in his old tank and unfortunately he got fin rot due to that, but now he's in a new tank with a much better filter. I've dealt with fin rot before and was able to cure it just fine with aquarium salt. With this betta, I'm having a lot of trouble. I've tried aquarium salt, Melafix and Pimafix together, and E.M. Erythromycin. I'm hoping someone can help with another solution that might help. Tank levels
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate- About 15, between 10 and 20
PH- 7.0
Temp- 75° (I set it lower to slow the infection)

Thank you!

Hello everyone,
I have my betta in a 5 gallon tank and I've had him a while but now he has fin rot. I was having trouble with the filter in his old tank and unfortunately he got fin rot due to that, but now he's in a new tank with a much better filter. I've dealt with fin rot before and was able to cure it just fine with aquarium salt. With this betta, I'm having a lot of trouble. I've tried aquarium salt, Melafix and Pimafix together, and E.M. Erythromycin. I'm hoping someone can help with another solution that might help. Tank levels
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate- About 15, between 10 and 20
PH- 7.0
Temp- 75° (I set it lower to slow the infection)

Thank you!
I've had fin rot before. It was bacterial and an antibiotic solved the problem. But, looking at 'fin rot', the symptom, I can't think of any good reason why fin rot might not be caused by a fungal agent. If your betta has a fungal fin rot, antibiotics won't help. I certainly don't know for sure, but if that is a fungal fin rot, you'll need an antifungal. Do you know of any veterinarians around you who work with fish?

I've had fin rot before. It was bacterial and an antibiotic solved the problem. But, looking at 'fin rot', the symptom, I can't think of any good reason why fin rot might not be caused by a fungal agent. If your betta has a fungal fin rot, antibiotics won't help. I certainly don't know for sure, but if that is a fungal fin rot, you'll need an antifungal. Do you know of any veterinarians around you who work with fish?
Unfortunately, no. I have guinea pigs as well and I can't even find a vet for them in my area because they're "exotic." I can't find any vets that work with fish around me

Pictures of fish?

It could be a drug resistant bacteria causing the problem.
Hopefully this helps. He gets really excited when I come up to the tank and won't stop moving so getting a good picture is not an easy task with him.

Attachments

• 20210314_002424_094_saved.jpg
    20210314_002424_094_saved.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210314_002424_093_saved.jpg
    20210314_002424_093_saved.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210314_002424_092_saved.jpg
    20210314_002424_092_saved.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 88
Hopefully this helps. He gets really excited when I come up to the tank and won't stop moving so getting a good picture is not an easy task with him.
It's mainly his tail fin. I haven't seen much being eaten away on the top.

I used silver proteinate once and it could have been coincidence and the rot was going to clear up anyway, but I like to think it was this!

pictures with a normal white light?
That is a normal white light but since he has a black background and the blue plant, the reflection created that artificial "blue light" seen in the picture. But I edited the photos for you, lowered the contrast and raised the saturation so the blue tone is gone.

Attachments

• Polish_20210314_030521448.jpg
    Polish_20210314_030521448.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Polish_20210314_030623974.jpg
    Polish_20210314_030623974.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
Unfortunately, no. I have guinea pigs as well and I can't even find a vet for them in my area because they're "exotic." I can't find any vets that work with fish around me
It's too bad that there isn't a sympathetic hug emoji here...I finally found a vet in the area, remote, but I could make the drive in an hour...with a fish tank in my car...So, because this vet is remote and doesn't charge me, I am reluctant to ask for too much. I don't know much: I had my first fresh water tank in 1965. I kept this (my parents did the financial 'keeping') for about 2 years. I didn't have another tank until I was in college in, oh, 1977. I had that tank for about, oh, 2 years, sold the entire works to move to Minnesota to attend Pharmacy School at the University of Minnesota. So, I know stuff about drugs and chemicals, but my knowledge of fish, beyond my experiences with Ich and Fin Rot while I owned tanks and had really good advice from the folks at the local aquarium store, is Biology and Zoology. So...a fish with fin rot that is not responding to an antibiotic. I don't know...You might try what I did - contact the vet that takes care of your mammalian pets and ask them if they know of a vet. You don't want to smack a tank with an antifungal unless it's necessary.

It's too bad that there isn't a sympathetic hug emoji here...I finally found a vet in the area, remote, but I could make the drive in an hour...with a fish tank in my car...So, because this vet is remote and doesn't charge me, I am reluctant to ask for too much. I don't know much: I had my first fresh water tank in 1965. I kept this (my parents did the financial 'keeping') for about 2 years. I didn't have another tank until I was in college in, oh, 1977. I had that tank for about, oh, 2 years, sold the entire works to move to Minnesota to attend Pharmacy School at the University of Minnesota. So, I know stuff about drugs and chemicals, but my knowledge of fish, beyond my experiences with Ich and Fin Rot while I owned tanks and had really good advice from the folks at the local aquarium store, is Biology and Zoology. So...a fish with fin rot that is not responding to an antibiotic. I don't know...You might try what I did - contact the vet that takes care of your mammalian pets and ask them if they know of a vet. You don't want to smack a tank with an antifungal unless it's necessary.
Thank you, I got some advice from different forum that I posted on and I think I'm going to try that. If it doesn't help, I may be back but let's hope it does.

Fin rot is always either a dangerous kind of fungus or bacteria. Many of these types of bacteria and fungi know how to adapt to survive even though you get rid of them with various mixtures and preparations. Unfortunately, even if you change the aquarium, your betta will suffer from fin rot. But you know, I'm not a professional veterinarian to claim that. I took a course to learn the profession of veterinary assistant thanks to the article https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/. I can ask my boss what he thinks of your case. I think he'll think about it for a few hours to give you a concise and good suggestion. Can you hold off on that? What types of antibiotics have you tried since this post?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back