Help with filter for betta tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just looking for some advice.
I switched my power filter to a sponge after deciding to get keep a betta in my 24 litre tank.
The problem is, it doesn't seem to keep the water very clean. It looks clean enough to look but when I come to do my water change, and things start getting stirred up, I can see a lot of debris floating around the tank.
I'm considering buying a new filter but don't know what to do for the best as I know sponge filters usually work great for bettas.
Any advice or tips or suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Actually sponge filter can't really remove the debris in your tank.
If you want super clear tank, you will need to use filter such as hang on filter, canister filter, overhead filter, internal filter to remove the debris.

Just get a small hang on filter(HOB) suitable for your tank (flow rate about 100-150 liter per hour).
But you need to cover the intake with sponge strainer to prevent the Betta from being sucked by the filter especially if the Betta has long and big fins and tail.

But for beginner, I don't recommend getting big fins and tails Betta as its prone to get fins rot.
I suggest that you get the short fins and tail Plakat Betta.

Attachments

• Sponge Strainer.png
    Sponge Strainer.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thanks for all that. So assuming I'm going to get a new filter, what is the best way to get the new filter sponge ready so I can remove the old filter. Do I just place the new sponge in the tank for a couple of weeks and then change the filter over? I dont have room to have both filters running.

If you can, persuade the sponge to fit in the new filter with a pair of scissors and you'll save all the bacteria in the old filter. I prefer internal filters to HOB filters, but I don't like the kind that have only cartridges. I have the smallest size Eheim Pickup filter in my 23 litre tank, that has a sponge as its medium, and the flow rate can be adjusted so it's good for a betta. You should be able to squeeze a lot of the sponge from the old filter into one of those.

As Essjay mentioned, just cut the sponge from the sponge filter accordingly to fit into your new filter.

The only thing I'm worried about doing it that way is, if the new filter is no good for whatever reason, I've ruined the sponge that fits onto the sponge filter. Is there a way to get a new piece of sponge ready if I didn't want to use the old one? Or am I just making things more complicated than they need to be lol

Yes, you can buy a sponge pad.
Get the smallest that you can since you only need a few small pieces unless you are planning for more fish tanks and filters.
But you will need to run the filter for 3-4 weeks for the sponge to have enough beneficial bacteria.

By the way, most filters come with filter cartridges but I don't use them as they have carbon inside the cartridges. Carbon is only useful if you want to remove medications.
Too much usage of carbon is not good for the fish as it may absorb all the minerals that are require by the fish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131W9CD4/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks so much. So would I just run both filters for 3 to 4 weeks then remove the old 1

Thanks so much. So would I just run both filters for 3 to 4 weeks then remove the old 1

You may want to run the old and new filter together for up to 1.5 months(just in case).

Another method which probably can speed up the growth of beneficial bacteria is to rinse your old sponge filter in a small pail.
Then pour the water from the pail into your new filter for it to collect the beneficial bacteria.

Do you have any live plants in the tank? Those would help enormously. I have floating plants in both my tanks, covering just about the entire surface and they take up a lot of ammonia. Floating plants such as salvinia or frogbit would help with the filter swap if you wait until the plants are growing well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back