Help with fan!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Does anyone know if new fans contain any harmful materials? More specifically, a lasko tower fan.
I would like to run the fan while the bird is covered as it gets really warm at night here, but I donā€™t want to risk anything.
I had read somewhere that fans could have internal features coated in Teflon but Iā€™m not sure how true that is.
Thanks!

I assume you are talking about a standard electric fan that you have in a room to circulate air?
If so, they don't have things that release poisonous fumes unless you consider the electrical components when they melt. The electronic components will release toxic fumes if they melt but so does the plastic.

The fan itself will not release any fumes under normal circumstances. However, new fans will often smell bad due to the plastics, glue and other materials they are made from. The smell is made worse by being sealed up in a plastic bag and put in a box for several months. The smell usually goes after a few days.

----------------
Never use a fan on a bird at night because the bird's body temperature can drop very quickly and you kill the bird.

You can have a fan in the room with the bird during the day if it's really hot (above 35C), but do not have the fan blowing air over the entire cage, again because the birds lose body heat really quickly.

If the bird is hot during the day, use a plastic spray bottle with some water and spray some fine mist of water into the air above the cage. It will rain down on the bird and help cool it off. Some birds will also splash about in a shallow container of water and this helps them stay clean and cool off in hot weather.

Do not spray the birds down at night because they get cold and wet and die or get sick and need treatment.

Do you need to cover the bird at night? That will stop air circulation and make it even warmer. If its safe to do so you can leave the window open.
When I lived in a very hot climate I kept a large bowl of clean water in with my cockatiels and parrot. That way they could decide when / if they needed a dip.

It's a good idea to cover part or most of a cage so the birds have some quiet time. However, if it is really hot, you can leave the cover off at night, just make sure the bird can get some sleep.

I usually cover the cage just to make it nice and quiet, Iā€™m up until the early hours so I like to cover her to avoid lights shining into the cage. I used to cover her to avoid frights at night from the shadows outside the window but after moving rooms I kinda just kept the habit.
I have used a spray bottle before but it frightens her so I use a small dish of water.

I never point the fan anywhere near the cage and I keep it on a low setting, thereā€™s hardly any air moving in her direction, I was more worried about anything harmful coming from it. Itā€™s really there just to circulate the air.

thanks for your help!

I usually cover the cage just to make it nice and quiet, Iā€™m up until the early hours so I like to cover her to avoid lights shining into the cage. I used to cover her to avoid frights at night from the shadows outside the window but after moving rooms I kinda just kept the habit.
That's a good thing to do :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back