Help with Diatoms and Substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zemo616

Reaction score
So my newly (fishless) cycling tank is experiencing a small Diatom move in currently( most of it settlingon my gravel). I've read up on it and am somewhat aware of how to deal with it. The real issue is this, last week before this incident i ran into some design flaws in my aquascape and had to get all new decor including gravel. I have some live plants in my tank and decided it would be best to get some fluval stratum for them. Then 4 days ago the diatoms made an appearance and the new decor arrived this afternoon. I've already started efforts to help get rid of it such as increasing flow, a gravel vacuum session with 30% water change, and will be decreasing tha time my light is on, but for the most part I've read the diatoms will run their own course and to somewhat let it. Should I change all the decor considering the diatom bloom?

So my newly (fishless) cycling tank is experiencing a small Diatom move in currently( most of it settlingon my gravel). I've read up on it and am somewhat aware of how to deal with it. The real issue is this, last week before this incident i ran into some design flaws in my aquascape and had to get all new decor including gravel. I have some live plants in my tank and decided it would be best to get some fluval stratum for them. Then 4 days ago the diatoms made an appearance and the new decor arrived this afternoon. I've already started efforts to help get rid of it such as increasing flow, a gravel vacuum session with 30% water change, and will be decreasing tha time my light is on, but for the most part I've read the diatoms will run their own course and to somewhat let it. Should I change all the decor considering the diatom bloom?
no, the algae bloom is a natural part of the cycle ( i think) , get some live plants and that will help a bit
if all the params are good a nerite snail will happily enjoy some diatoms LOL
dont rely on them to clean ur tank ofc but they love diatoms

There are plants in the tank currently, actually im pretty sure a certain one brought the diatoms 😅. But about the snails, my tank is only 5 gallons, so im not sure if that is enough space for one.

There are plants in the tank currently, actually im pretty sure a certain one brought the diatoms 😅. But about the snails, my tank is only 5 gallons, so im not sure if that is enough space for one.
i think one or 2 would be fine if you fed it
cos my 3 huge snails ate the 75g clean of diatoms in a few months, i might need to start feedin them now

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back