Help with diagnosing disease on Firemouth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

speachee

Reaction score
I have a community tank and two of my fire mouths have these white spots on them, but they don't look like the ich that I have experienced before? I'm starting to get worried that it's either Hole in the Head or Columnaris. I've attached pictures of two of the fire mouths. It has spread to my rainbow shark too which makes me think it's ich, though.

Another thing is that they have been showing a decent amount of aggression so I'm wondering if it could be injuries?

Parameters
pH 7.4
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
Temp 80

Attachments

• IMG_3408.PNG
    IMG_3408.PNG
    534.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3409.PNG
    IMG_3409.PNG
    520.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3410.png
    IMG_3410.png
    1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3411.png
    IMG_3411.png
    996.4 KB · Views: 142
It's definitely not Ich as Ich has fine white spot or they called it the white spot disease.

It could be hole in head or injuries. It's hard to see from the photos.

For hole in head, usually it's the diet and water quality issues.
Did you feed it with worms(live or frozen)?
According to some breeders, feeding with worms may cause the hole in head issue.
Or sometimes it could be due to some water quality issues.

It's definitely not Ich as Ich has fine white spot or they called it the white spot disease.

It could be hole in head or injuries. It's hard to see from the photos.

For hole in head, usually it's the diet and water quality issues.
Did you feed it with worms(live or frozen)?
According to some breeders, feeding with worms may cause the hole in head issue.
Or sometimes it could be due to some water quality issues.
I feed flakes, pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, multiworm sticks, and occasionally freeze dried blood worms. So, I'll stop feeding the worms and quarantine with general cure. Thanks for the help!

I forgot to mention this.
There are cases of holes in head tht might be caused by the usage of carbon in the filter.
But I am not sure how true.

It's not white spot.
It's unlikely to be hole in the head, which is caused by a dirty tank.
It looks like a bite on the firemouth.

-----------
Early stages of Hole in the head disease can be treated with cleaning the tank and adding salt.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks. then do small water changes to dilute the salt out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back